Feature Request

marotori

Jun 17, 2009
Hello

Would it be possible to add a feature in to an upcoming release of proxmox?

Essentially - Proxmox makes a fantastic platform for serving LXC contains when running inside a kvm server.

The model is simple:

- install proxmox into a virtual server.
- use proxmox to run lxc containers

The result is pretty good and can be usefull for allowing greater density within a cloud environment.

What would be cool is if the system had a config option to disable all the menu options / screen displays that relate to creation & management of kvm boxes.

Essentially - its a bad idea to try run kvm nested. but works well running lxc within kvm.

Make sense?

I currently do this at present with no issues at all in a production environment.

Rob

Ok.. kvm within kvm is never a good idea. It is very slow!

I know you run lxc direct on the host. What I am suggesting is something slightly different.

Scenario as follows:

- install proxmox on an amazon kvm server.

Then use it to serve lxc containers.

What this does is to open up an avenue for ISP who want to only server containers; whilst achieving the benefit of buying the hardware supply off a larger cloud provider.

From what I can see within the gui config; there are 10-15 places where an 'if/else' loop would be required to make the KVM option turn on/off on the display.

Rob

Ok.. kvm within kvm is never a good idea. It is very slow!

If you have hardware support, it is not slow.

What this does is to open up an avenue for ISP who want to only server containers; whilst achieving the benefit of buying the hardware supply off a larger cloud provider.

So, you want to run a IaaS on a IaaS to then run CaaS? Technically possible, but why don't you use a IaaS to run a PaaS?

If you have hardware support, it is not slow.

Thats a fair point.

So, you want to run a IaaS on a IaaS to then run CaaS? Technically possible, but why don't you use a IaaS to run a PaaS?

Simple. Plenty of people want a simple container service offering.

Proxmox serving LXC is fantastic; and works well installed inside a kvm box to deliver this.

Take for example a scenario where you 'sell' a proxmox/lxc to a customer. Say.. 1tb storage and 32gb ram with 6vcpu and a /28 subnet.

They can then self manage their containers inside a totally HA kvm node.

Client gets complete control and is empowered by having the full console at disposal.

Then.. later client adds a second box.

now they can do 'live migration' of containers between their boxes.

I have a number of clients who do this already and are extremely happy with the product. The only negative is the KVM machine creation prompts. An option to 'hide' these. (even a security role) would be usefull.

Rob

Yes, this is a very nice use case. I'd really like it to have some "multi-tenancy" support in PVE itself. The only part that can be used is ZFS quota to restrict storage. Everything else only works like you described.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!