Proxmox v4 & v5 incompatible with HP Microserver GEN8

emanuelebruno

Renowned Member
May 1, 2012
Catania
emanuelebruno.it
Hi all,
in my previous post I said that changing CPU to the HP Microserver (from G1610T to E3-1230V2 or anything else) meets into rebooting issue.
It is wrong! I managed to reproduce the problem by doing so:
I created a virtual machine with windows 7, and I've created two virtual machines that start from a "clonezilla" iso: the first reads the disk to make a copy via lan (disk to disk); the second receives data via lan and writes to disk.

After about 3 minutes the server restarts suddenly.

The server doesn't reboot suddendly if the virtual machine with Windows 7 stay off.

I hope I've been clear and you can understand how to solve the problem.

Thank you,
E. Bruno.

Last edited:
I am running a gen8 microserver using Proxmox 3 and then 4 for two years now. CPU is E3-1265L V2. In the past I've had VMs on Windows 7 & Server 2012R2. Never had an issue.

Best would be a crash dump. I'm unfamiliar with HP microservers, but do they also have iLO? What about the event log there? Maybe a NMI or some machine exception?

what is your
Code:
pveversion -v

Also, if you're using E3-1230V2, which has TDP of 69 W (Microserver only can handle a TDP of 35W), the whole system might just get too hot and triggers a NMI. You can watch your ILO for info on sensors.

Also, if you're using E3-1230V2, which has TDP of 69 W (Microserver only can handle a TDP of 35W), the whole system might just get too hot and triggers a NMI. You can watch your ILO for info on sensors.

The HP Microserver that you see in the video is a new one with the original G1610T CPU... (no CPU upgrade was done...)

I am running a gen8 microserver using Proxmox 3 and then 4 for two years now. CPU is E3-1265L V2. In the past I've had VMs on Windows 7 & Server 2012R2. Never had an issue.

I have found a particular situation in wich the server Proxmox v4 & v5 crashes "always"... it means that there is a stability problem (kernel ? bios ? network ? hard disk access?)

I can't stay calm if I think that I server can reboot under stress condition.

It is vital that virtualization software (PROXMOX) is a rock, otherwise all active virtual machines could be compromised and this should not happen

Thats true. Really weird issue anyway. I'm regularily putting decent load at my lap server and did not observe any crash like this. What are the last messages in journalctl -lf when the reboot occurs?

do you use zfs? how much ram do you have and how much ram did you assign to vms ?

Hi dcsapak, the server is 4 GB, Windows 7 has 1 GB, the second and the third kvm have 512 MB; filesystem zfs only one drive (4 TB) .
I guess this too little, as far as i remember, zfs has a default minimum arc setting of 3GB,
also if you have swap also on zfs, it can happen that your system has high memory pressure -> tries to swap (on zfs) -> increases the arc -> higher memory pressure -> etc..

so i would either limit the arc usage further down(i do not recommend this solution) (see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS_on_Linux#_limit_zfs_memory_usage)
use less ram in your vms, or upgrade the host

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!