Migrate ESXi Linux VMs to proxmox containers

locusofself

Mar 29, 2016
Hello,

I take nightly backup snapshots of my ESXi linux VMs using a script "ghettoVCB" and the backups are on NFS.

I would like to import the VMDK disks into Proxmox containers. I would like them to be "thin" if this is possible.

Can anyone recommend the steps on the best way to do this.. should I convert from VMDK to RAW using qemu-img ?

Proxmox wants a template to create a container. Can I somehow make a template from my VMDK files from my ESXi backups?

Can anyone recommend the steps on the best way to do this.. should I convert from VMDK to RAW using qemu-img ?

If you want thin, real thin, then use a filesystem. A simple rsync of the data inside your vmdk should be sufficient. You have to mount and copy your vmdk data (maybe convert to raw and mount via loopback device, kpartx and then copy). It's probably easier to use the life system for that. There is no automatic way to convert your vmdk to lxc. There is also no automatic way to convert you linux machines to lxc. There are always things you should do by hand. Please google for instructions for you virtualized operating systems. This is not really a proxmox problem.

Proxmox wants a template to create a container. Can I somehow make a template from my VMDK files from my ESXi backups?

You can create a template from your live machine with a simply taring your files. A container template is nothing else than that. The template can only be used if the virtualized OS is recognized by LXC. Again, please google for instructions for you os.

Converting a "real" VM to a container is not always straight-forward. There are a lot of things involved.

Please read:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Linux_Container
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Convert_OpenVZ_to_LXC

If you want thin, real thin, then use a filesystem.

I was hoping I could do that.. as in just have a "chroot" style environment, just directories of my Linux container systems vs. 'raw' or other format if this is possible. I just didnt see a way to do that yet.. when I create a container a .raw file is created from the stock templates in the proxmox web UI at least ..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!