Snapshot deleted after restore VM from backup

phanos

Renowned Member
Oct 23, 2015
Hello,

I am running Proxmox 4.1 (latest) and after I have restore a VM from backup the snapshots that I had created are not gone. (Backup was created after the snapshots were created and I am using qcow2 disk image).

If I navigate to the "/var/lib/vz/images/100/" directory I can see the " vm-100-state-Name.raw" snapshot but that snapshot does not appear on proxmox.

So is there a way to use those snapshots to restore my vm to a previous state? If not is there a way to include them on the backup (if there are not present) so a restore can bring those back as well.

Regards,

Phanos

Hi dietmar and thanks for the reply. So there is no way to re-use my snapshots for the VMs that I have restore correctly? If yes should I simply remove them and free up space or do you believe is there any change in the future to be able to re-use them?

Sorry, I do not really understand your question. But there are no plans to include snapshots into backups. Maybe you should create a VM template instead (and make a backup of that template).

Hi sorry for misunderstanding. What I meant was that after restoring two of my VMs from Backups the existing snapshots no longer appear on the proxmox web site. They only appear under directory /var/lib/vz/images/1xx/.... along with the qcow2 image.

Should I delete those now to recover some space or is there some usage for them?

I have a similar situation, except I would like to be able to still use the snapshots, and they are not appearing under the Snapshot tab for the particular VM.

Is this possible?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!