Latest LXC templates for common Linux distributions?

chronos

Apr 11, 2009
Where we can download or how we can create newer LXC templates for Linux distributions like Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Centos, Archlinux, Opensuse and others? They seems to be supported by LXC as they have basic templates scripts in /usr/share/lxc/templates.

At least I tested Ubuntu 15.10 and it works but there is no template available for download so one have to install Ubuntu 15.04 first and then perform do-release-upgrade. And this is not really quick process.

Previously OpenVZ templates was possible to download from openvz web. But now with LXC there is no such source except standard templates.

There is something like DAB http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Debian_Appliance_Builder but it seems pretty complicated process. Also if anybody already created for example Ubuntu 15.10 template then maybe one can share precreated template to others. But there is nothing like PVE LXC templates archive.

So what is best way to get precreated template like Ubuntu 15.10?

I just uploaded a template for ubuntu 15.10. Please run

# pveam update

After that it should be available for download (on the GUI).

Or you can download it manually from:

http://download.proxmox.com/images/system/

Thanks for updated template. I downloaded it manually as "pveam update" didn't have expected effect.
But this didn't really answer my question. As OpenVZ templates gave as some independence to PVE. But now PVE needs special "handcrafted" templates using DAB tool. I don't know if there is anything like standard LXC templates. Creating container in Ubuntu is done by installing packages from repository using template scripts. It seems that PVE easy this process by unpacking this files from single archive file with combination of running post-install or container run script. But then availability of standard containers is another problem.

Reactions: borekon
Well, after all there are such templates. I tried to find them on this official web https://linuxcontainers.org/ but there is no visible link or information where to find them. I will check later if they are really usable directly without any fine tuning.

Anyway, thanks for this URL.

I want to use linuxcontainers xenial template but I get :
TASK ERROR: unsupported ubunt version '16.04'
How to override this? It works fine in lxc so it should work with proxmox :(

At this moment I have the same problem with the Oracle 6.5 LXC templates.

At the creation proces of the CT I get the following message:
TASK ERROR: unable to detect OS disribution

ps. also look at the typo in the error message ;)

Why on earth would anyone run a Non-LTS Ubuntu, especially on a server?

I'm still installing 14.04LTS now even after the 16.04LTS release until 16.04 has been out long enough that I become comfortable with that it is stable enough for server use.

There should be no reason for any Ubuntu templates other than LTS releases.

There are plenty of reasons. For example I have also xrdp remote desktop servers where to have latest version of many applications is important. Unfortunately Ubuntu doesn't have rolling updates except for selected applications like Firefox. So latest ubuntu for desktop is really good choice. Another reason would be for example to have latest applications like PHP 7 which was released just before current LTS version but if it would be provided for example in 16.10 then it may be good reason to updated to non-LTS to not wait for 2 years. You can also install PHP 7 packages manually but it is nice if they are available from official repositories.

It also depends if such server is for critical or non-critical purpose and needs or doesn't need cutting edge technology. It could be competitive advantage to have latest software (not two years old software).
Or you can just test new features to be prepared for next LTS release.
Also for physical server one may need to use latest release with new Linux kernel which support particular hardware or feature. This is not important with container virtualization where kernel have fixed version.

So I have few VPS servers with LTS only Ubuntu and some with latest non-LTS. Also I use non-LTS releases for my desktops to have latest stable software.
For customers VPS I would suggest to use LTS. There will be less work and problems with upgrades.

There are plenty of reasons. For example I have also xrdp remote desktop servers where to have latest version of many applications is important. Unfortunately Ubuntu doesn't have rolling updates except for selected applications like Firefox. So latest ubuntu for desktop is really good choice. Another reason would be for example to have latest applications like PHP 7 which was released just before current LTS version but if it would be provided for example in 16.10 then it may be good reason to updated to non-LTS to not wait for 2 years. You can also install PHP 7 packages manually but it is nice if they are available from official repositories.

It also depends if such server is for critical or non-critical purpose and needs or doesn't need cutting edge technology. It could be competitive advantage to have latest software (not two years old software).
Or you can just test new features to be prepared for next LTS release.
Also for physical server one may need to use latest release with new Linux kernel which support particular hardware or feature. This is not important with container virtualization where kernel have fixed version.

So I have few VPS servers with LTS only Ubuntu and some with latest non-LTS. Also I use non-LTS releases for my desktops to have latest stable software.
For customers VPS I would suggest to use LTS. There will be less work and problems with upgrades.

That is interesting. I've never run into anything server based I couldn't do with 14.04LTS, but I guess everyone's needs are different.

The only application I've ever run into where a newer than LTS distribution made sense was in video playback on integrated intel graphics chipsets, where a combination of the latest kernel, Xserver, mesa drivers, vaapi drivers and such made a hige difference for haswell based CPU's, but I've never done anything like that on my server.

Even on my desktop I run Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon Edition, which is based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!