Updated Raid controller list page

jva1601

Oct 19, 2010
Hi,

Most of the ones listed on this page are outdated Raid controllers. https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Raid_controller Searching some these on the list are coming up with no longer in stock or discontinued by the manufacturers. Do you have an updated list of recommended Raid controllers to get? We're looking to buy a Super Micro server. We want to make sure we get a Raid controller which works out of the box and performs well.

Thank you.

Here in the UK, many co-lo companies charge based on power used. Hardware RAID controllers take more power, so they're more expensive to run. Same goes for SSDs vs mechanical drives. Our current servers have hardware RAID and mechanical drives but we worked out that changing to SSDs and software RAID will be a cost saving of something like 25%.

We used always HW Raidcontroller (HP/DELL Server) in the past. Never again! We use Supermicro and ZFS instead. Much more better. https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage:_ZFS

BTW: Every good HW Raidcontroller should work. DELL/HP no problem. 3WARE and LSI too.
Coul you give me more details about your (suggested) supermicro setup for ZFS? What HBA do you use for ZFS (that needs NO "intelligent" controller on it's path to disks)? Thanks a lot

For Ownbuilding Servers we use for example SuperMicro MBD-X10SAE or MBD-X9SCM-F mATX. On both boards the onboard SATAcontrollers are ok to use with LinuxZFS. ZFS must see every disk directly. For more performance use SAScontroller like the IBM ServeRAID M1015 8 Port Multi-Lane PCIe 2.0 x8 Multi-lane-connector (EAN: 0883436127332 Modellnumber: 90Y4556). But every Enterprise SAScontroller with "no bios on card" should working fine. For Oracle ZFS this is an most importand thing. LinuxZFS is much more flexible. In the past PVE ZFS has worked with every SATA Controller in AHCImode. We buy also DELL Servers with DELL SATA controller. Works also perfectly with LinuxZFS.

Precautionary we use in Enterprisesection, Enterprise HW, LSI, 3Ware. But yes SATA works too.
When you would like to use Nas4free, Freenas or Solaris, only supported controller works without problems on high I/O.
And when you buy something conside that zfs need a lot of RAM for themselves. 8GB RAM only for the filesystem is minimum.

It is a good idea to test it with various things and situations, before you go in production. But, i can you say, never HW Raidcontroller anymore... not for me!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!