Active-Backup bonding between Infiniband and GigaBit NIC

wahmed

Famous Member
Oct 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
www.symmcom.com
I have few nodes with single port Infiniband 40Gbps and single port 1gbps Intel NIC. Is it possible to bond the IB and Gigabit NIC in active-backup then setup vLans on top of the bonding? I do not have any non-production setup to try this out at this moment and was wandering if anybody has some idea.

99% sure that IPoIB does not support vlans.

Doubt you can bond IB and Ethernet.
PCIe 10/20Gb cards can be found on eBay rather cheap. Might be easier to just add another IB port.

I use active/backup bond on two 10g IB ports with redundant switches, works great.
I have 5 vLans that currently running on the single Gigabit at this moment. So right there IB seems to be out of consideration since IPoIB does not support vLan. 10gb Ethernet seems to be the way to go at this moment. I will look what ebay got for some 10gb ethernet NIC and a switch.

It would have needed to be EthoIB to support VLANs ?!
Could MPTCP offer an alternative http://www.multipath-tcp.org ? About it, Could it be used to aggregate several 1gbps links throughput for a single tcp connexion like for a drbd resource ?

Thx for your insights

It would have needed to be EthoIB to support VLANs ?!
I think IPoIB is what you are referring as EthoIB so it would be the same requirement.

Could MPTCP offer an alternative http://www.multipath-tcp.org ? About it, Could it be used to aggregate several 1gbps links throughput for a single tcp connexion like for a drbd resource ?
You could definitely link aggregate multiple ports to form bigger bandwidth for drbd resource. The limitation of higher bandwidth forming link aggregation for IB is hardware related. Whereas DRBD is a storage system sits on top of an operating system as far as i know.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!