xhci_hcd error

I can report that I'm not seeing the problem any more with 6.5.11-4

Edit: False alarm. It was running stable for about a day without the error but once again throwing the error.

Last edited:
Still no luck. I disabled the WIFI driver in Proxmox via blacklist. So the driver + firmware only loads from the VM.

I have no success. The driver can't enter Accesss Point mode.

So crazy. Same stick - same driver works on my Intel NUC (no proxmox). The stick also works with Pi/aarm64 and openwrt.

OMFG :)

It's working.... I added a 5€ USB Hub.

1. It worked with Proxmox 7
  2. I have the feeling that the Ryzen / AMD / AM4 USB 3.1 Hub has some issues with the new Kernel (I can't prove it)
  3. I tried all bios settings that are possible.

Edit: I also had to blacklist the driver in proxmox:

Code:
#/etc/modprobe.d/mt76-blacklist.conf 
blacklist mt76x0u
blacklist mt76x0_common
blacklist mt76x02_usb
blacklist mt76_usb
blacklist mt76x02_lib
blacklist mt76

1705354923396.png

Last edited:
i am experiencing the same issue on a virtualized OpenWRT (VM) when Modem is passthrough USB 3. proxmox version is 8.1.4 , its a fresh reinstall, i used the same hardware setup on proxmox 7.x for a long time with no issue. after reading all the previous comments i am pretty sure we are dealing with a proxmox 8 bug affecting USB 3 passthrough. or it might be bug in Linux kernel. either way we need to submit a bug report and proxmox people should also take this seriously because USB passthrough is a key functionality in Virtual environment.

Reactions: XabiX
Hello, I'm on Proxmox 8.1.4 and have a VM running OpenMediaVault on an Intel NUC. I have 4 HDDs in a USB 3.0 enclosure attached to a USB port on the NUC and passed through to the VM in Proxmox. Works great- except for when I initiate any high read/write activity between drives. So basically when transferring files between drives within the enclosure it causes the "xhci hcd error transfer event rb dma ptr not part of current td ep_index 2 comp_code 4" error and the system crashes. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi there,
As far as I know, Vmware workstations have a similar problem. If the host PC supports USB 3.0 and you have a client that only supports USB 2.0 like Windows XP, the only way to solve this problem is to use a USB 2.0 hub in between.

I'm having the same problem in Proxmox V8.1.10 (xhci_hcd 0000:01:1b.0: ERROR transfer event TRB DMA ptr not part of current TD ep_index 8 comp_code 13)

But my client is Debian Bookwork, which should support USB 3.0 with a USB 3.0 hub in between.
But after connecting the USB 2.0 hub, the messages disappear.
Unfortunately, I don't know of any software switch in Proxmox that does a downscaling to USB 2.0.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!