windows apci shutdown

That might be a assign of bad host hardware or something wrong with your kernel, or whole proxmox setup. Test your hardware, try different kernels and/or re-install whole proxmox.

I noticed something today which may support that theory, perhaps a fresh install from the new iso would help.

I couldn't Ctrl-Alt-Delete to log in or even move the mouse while a Snapshot backup was running.

I was in time to see in the Syslog tab that the machine had been Suspended.

I then verified the Backup job was indeed supposed to do a Snapshot rather than a Suspended backup.

Hi Vlad,

How are you using this application? Just scheduling it or are you calling it somehow when a shutdown is sent from the proxmox webgui?
I am having problems with a w2k3 server that keeps hanging with the prompt about other users being logged on. seems there should be a more elegant solution for this by now.

Use gpedit.msc to enable:
Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Shutdown: Allow system to be shut down without having to log on

If it still does not work, try registry entries below.
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows]
"ErrorMode"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
"ShutdownWarningDialogTimeout"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Error Message Instrument]
"EnableDefaultReply"=dword:00000001
Above works great with Win2003s.

I use that tool only with Win2k to do full backups, never shutdown my host machines.

Have you found a solution? I have the same problem. I've followed the howto about disable some policy and Win2003 shutdowns without problems if NO ONE is still logged with terminal server, otherwise it does not. VMWare with it's guest drivers seem not to be affected (a co-worker of mine is testing ESXi, since he dislikes Free Software and loves proprietary chains so much), but I do need a similar solution for Proxmox.
This problems prevents me to have a "stop" backup of the vm, that is the only one that can guarantee that the database is consistent...

Here is a script for the tool, poweroff.sh:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
POWEROFF_PASSWORD=$2
LOGFILE=/tmp/poweroff.log
TELNET=$(which telnet)

is_tcpport_up() {
    SERVERIP="$1"
    SERVERPORT="$2"

(
    sleep 3
    echo "quit"
    ) | $TELNET $SERVERIP $SERVERPORT | grep "Connected to " > /dev/null 2>&1
    [[ "$?" -ne "1" ]] && return 0 || return 1
}

power_off() {
    remoteport=3210
    remoteip=$1
    echo -n Using PowerOff service on ${remoteip}:${remoteport}: >>$LOGFILE
    is_tcpport_up $remoteip $remoteport > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [[ "$?" -eq "0" ]]; then
        echo -n " OK" >>$LOGFILE
        sleep 2
        for ((d=0;d<3;d++)); do
        (
         sleep 2
         echo "password $POWEROFF_PASSWORD"
         sleep 1
         echo "action poweroff"
         sleep 1
         echo "doit"
         ) | $TELNET $remoteip $remoteport > /dev/null 2>&1
         echo -n . >>$LOGFILE
        done
        echo Done. >>$LOGFILE
        return 0
    else
        echo Failed!. >>$LOGFILE
        return 1
    fi
}

power_off $1
Just run:
Code:
./poweroff.sh <your_ip> <your_password>

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Shutdown: Allow system to be shut down without having to log on

Code:

I use that tool only with Win2k to do full backups, never shutdown my host machines.

Hi vlad, some of the above keys are not already in the registry, is that correct? We have to create them from scratch?

I seem to recall from other threads that the above does not work for windows xp, which is the case I care about :( I have had to train myself whenever ending a remote desktop session to my XP VM to logout from the VM so that if the host node needs to shutdown, it can.

Code:

HI Vlad,

I have tried the registry entries and though the w2k3 servers now do not show any dialog on the logon screen, they still hang when trying to shut them down via the proxmox ve webgui. I have to go to the vnc viewer then they shutdown.... do your w2k3 server shutdown without any issues like this?

For Windows XP I tried all the registry settings and nothing was working, then I found the more obvious solution which may be affecting others.

Start -> Control Panel -> Power Options -> Power Buttons -> When I press the power button on my computer -> Shut Down

I set this myself as "Ask me what to do" when I first setup the VM because that's how I usually do it for desktops. Shut down from proxmox gui now works on XP.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!