windows apci shutdown

ion-ral

Sep 5, 2009
I do not know if you ever, but if you use windows server (2003 for example) as the guest, when you try to send a signal to shutdown the system goes out only if there are no users logged on (eg terminal services)
anyone knows how to remedy this small (but big) problem?

I do not know if you ever, but if you use windows server (2003 for example) as the guest, when you try to send a signal to shutdown the system goes out only if there are no users logged on (eg terminal services)
anyone knows how to remedy this small (but big) problem?

use the search function of the forum, discussed several times (group policy settings, allow anonymous shutdown).

sorry Tom, I did another search but I do not think the anonymous is the solution to the problem that I noticed ... you could help me understand if I'm understanding wrong?

sorry Tom, I did another search but I do not think the anonymous is the solution to the problem that I noticed ... you could help me understand if I'm understanding wrong?

its a windows issue, nothing to configure on the Proxmox VE side. for sure.

tom waits, do not misunderstand, I never said and certainly do not want to say it is a problem of proxmox, but I hope that you too might have happened and maybe you know how to fix it ...

tom waits, do not misunderstand, I never said and certainly do not want to say it is a problem of proxmox, but I hope that you too might have happened and maybe you know how to fix it ...

I know that its a windows policy issue - no idea why you do not believe me.

I know that its a windows policy issue - no idea why you do not believe me.

Tom I believe you that it is a problem of windows! hoping only that some of you already had the same problem and maybe had solved ...

In short it seems that none of us here has already clashed with this particular problem ... nobody has posted a viable solution ...
sin, surely only those who use Linux virtual machines has to worry about but who uses Windows ...

In short it seems that none of us here has already clashed with this particular problem ... nobody has posted a viable solution ...
sin, surely only those who use Linux virtual machines has to worry about but who uses Windows ...

This a the support forum for Proxmox VE. And I know that the problem is on the Microsoft side (policies) and I also fixed this on several systems.

If you need support for Microsoft, go for Microsoft support - we do not support this here in full, out of scope.

tom sorry but I'm not here to highlight this issue just for me ... if anyone knows how I can go around to please everyone ...
then if we want to make the tax here and say what you said then this forum can not give any responses that correlate with proxmox, since the functionality of a Windows operating system is correlated with the same proxmox ...
given what you said however I will avoid to ask again about these problems ...

Are you able to shut down windows without logging on? Before logging on, when you press ctrl-alt-del, are you able to press the shutdown button?

Another suggestion:

Go to qemu monitor and issue the command 'system_powerdown' and then go to the vnc console of the server and check if there are any prompts like there are other users logged on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you able to shut down windows without logging on? Before logging on, when you press ctrl-alt-del, are you able to press the shutdown button?

already solved

Another suggestion:

Go to qemu monitor and issue the command 'system_powerdown' and then go to the vnc console of the server and check if there are any prompts like there are other users logged on.

accurate, tells me that there are other users logged on
can you tell me how to force

accurate, tells me that there are other users logged on
can you tell me how to force

If you use terminal services and have logged on users, I would rather suggest that you log them off on a time schedule (for example with tslogoff).

Otherwise you can try this suggestion

Go to Local Computer Policy->Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->System Select Display Shutdown Event Tracker and disable it.

Last edited by a moderator:
does not work either tracker...
the problem is that I can't limit the time of parliamentary sessions terminal services, I only need that if the proxmox must be extinguished even the guest turn off without prompting ...

You can try solution here, I have similar problem with Win2k machines and feature MS built-in. The "qm shutdown" causes Win2k machines to shutdown without allowing other programs to close gracefully. I think VMWare solved the issue with their guest Tools, definitely need something like that for KVM.

Found poweroff solution that works properly and solved my problem, God bless guy who wrote it. It just saved me a bunch of time trying to setup CYGWIN on every server.

I have a machine right now that won't stop no matter what I do. Even that app mentioned above isn't doing anything.
Is there a way to pull it's power cord at the command line?
I just reboot PVE, but need another way if it happens again.

I have a machine right now that won't stop no matter what I do. Even that app mentioned above isn't doing anything.
Is there a way to pull it's power cord at the command line?
I just reboot PVE, but need another way if it happens again.

list the VM´s with 'qm list'.

the last column shows the PID (process ID). kill this process.

Code:
kill PID

Yes, I noticed in the past "Stop" usually works in instances where "Reset" doesn't.

In this case "Stop", "Shutdown", "Reset" buttons & the "Reboot" link had no effect.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!