Webui Crash - Update Package Database

alem

Feb 27, 2024
Hello, for some reason, the Proxmox web interface and SSH on the server are no longer accessible automatically within 2 or 4 days of uptime, even if the VMs remain online. To bring the web interface back online, I have to manually restart the server. I found in the logs that this crash occurs when the system automatically performs a "Update Package Database" for Proxmox. How can I resolve this or possibly disable this function? I already disabled all updates three days ago when I noticed it in the Updates - Repositories section, and it says "No Proxmox VE repository enabled!" but the problem persists.

and i have even a second problem, when i try to do from the server shell like "ping google.com" it says:

ping: google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution

but the vms internet works, and it fixes only when i do "dhclient" on the server shell after restart

My network interfaces if it can help fix the issue:

root@coreserver1:~# ip a
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
inet6 ::1/128 scope host noprefixroute
2: enp7s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master vmbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether e8:9c:25:10:4e:1f brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: vmbr0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether e8:9c:25:10:4e:1f brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.8.108/24 scope global vmbr0
inet6 fe80::ea9c:25ff:fe10:4e1f/64 scope link
4: veth100i0@if2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue master fwbr100i0 state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether fe:e7:b1:8a:4c:7c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff link-netnsid 0
5: fwbr100i0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether 96:64:af:4f:d5:58 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
6: fwpr100p0@fwln100i0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue master vmbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether 9e:7b:e9:9f:d1:fc brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
7: fwln100i0@fwpr100p0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue master fwbr100i0 state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether 96:64:af:4f:d5:58 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
8: tap118i0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,PROMISC,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc htb master vmbr0 state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether 72:8d:6b:40:20:cf brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
9: tap122i0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,PROMISC,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master vmbr0 state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether 92:bf:9f:3e:76:70 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
10: tap102i0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,PROMISC,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master vmbr0 state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether ea:6e:e9:59:f8:ec brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
11: tap104i0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,PROMISC,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master vmbr0 state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether 1e:12:ce:c9:34:87 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
12: tap112i0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,PROMISC,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc htb master vmbr0 state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether 2e:4d:96:02:87:45 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
13: veth101i0@if2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue master fwbr101i0 state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether fe:84:d1:b2:ca:a5 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff link-netnsid 1
14: fwbr101i0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether de:84:53:c8:c4:e9 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
15: fwpr101p0@fwln101i0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue master vmbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether fa:23:74:b0:86:dc brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
16: fwln101i0@fwpr101p0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue master fwbr101i0 state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether de:84:53:c8:c4:e9 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Attachments

• sc1.png
    sc1.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 4
  • sc2.png
    sc2.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
While it seems that there may be a link between the two events that happen within a short time of each other, there is very likely no connection.

Rather then troubleshoot your possible DHCP issues, you should change PVE to static IP. This may require a DHCP pool resizing on your router to ensure that you dont have conflicts and the router does not block traffic from "unauthorized" IP within the range.
When you change over to static, you should also add DNS server to get stable name resolution.

After you make the changes, save the following output:
ip a
cat /etc/network/interfaces
ip route
cat /etc/resolv.conf
lspci | grep Ethernet
ping -c4 [routerip]
curl -sk https://localhost:8006|grep title
curl -sk https://[pveip]:8006|grep title

Wait for the repeat of the issue. If it happens again, record the following (assuming you did not change the configuration):
ip a
ip route
ping -c4 [routerip]
curl -sk https://localhost:8006|grep title
curl -sk https://[pveip]:8006|grep title

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

hello, i found a fix for the problem where i need to do dhclient to start internet, in the /etc/resolv.conf it was before like these:

Code:
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
# 127.0.0.53 is the systemd-resolved stub resolver.
# run "resolvectl status" to see details about the actual nameservers.

after i added these 2 lines and saved the connection started automaticly (these two lines i took them from the second server that dont has these problem)
Code:
search magl.win
nameserver 192.168.8.1

but when i reboot the server it restores as before and i need to re-add the two lines, how to make that when i restart it does not change it? and after adding and saving these two lines i dont need to do dhclient, it starts automaticly, before when i did dhclient it showed on the router whit a different ip address from the webui now is good

Last edited:
hello, i found a fix for the problem where i need to do dhclient to start internet, in the /etc/resolv.conf it was before like these:

Code:
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
# 127.0.0.53 is the systemd-resolved stub resolver.
# run "resolvectl status" to see details about the actual nameservers.

after i added these 2 lines and saved the connection started automaticly (these two lines i took them from the second server that dont has these problem)
Code:
search magl.win
nameserver 192.168.8.1

but when i reboot the server it restores as before and i need to re-add the two lines, how to make that when i restart it does not change it? and after adding and saving these two lines i dont need to do dhclient, it starts automaticly, before when i did dhclient it showed on the router whit a different ip address from the webui now is good
At the end how i can make that the changes in the /etc/resolv.conf will remain the same and not to be restored automaticly to default when i restart the server?

At the end how i can make that the changes in the /etc/resolv.conf will remain the same and not to be restored automaticly to default when i restart the server?
As mentioned before - change you configuration from DHCP to STATIC.
Another option is change your DHCP server to NOT provide nameservers, so you can define them manually.
Or change your DHCP server to provide proper nameservers, so you dont have to change them manually.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

As mentioned before - change you configuration from DHCP to STATIC.
Another option is change your DHCP server to NOT provide nameservers, so you can define them manually.
Or change your DHCP server to provide proper nameservers, so you dont have to change them manually.

And how to change it in the proxmox config?
i changed in the router the setting to=

do not change the .108 (proxmox ip) ip

i Have a B818-263 Huawai Router

Sorry for bad english

crontab -l nothing
root@coreserver1:~# crontab -l
no crontab for root

and for
systemctl disable pve-daily-update.timer

i did it 3 days ago but the update was done automaticly again today...
when i do the status command it shows disabled

root@coreserver1:~# systemctl status pve-daily-update.timer
○ pve-daily-update.timer - Daily PVE download activities
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pve-daily-update.timer; disabled; preset: enabled)
Active: inactive (dead)
Trigger: n/a
Triggers: ● pve-daily-update.service
root@coreserver1:~#

at the end i followed that command but nothing changed, and the repos for updates in proxmox web ui are disabled

someone?
crontab -l nothing
root@coreserver1:~# crontab -l
no crontab for root

and for
systemctl disable pve-daily-update.timer

i did it 3 days ago but the update was done automaticly again today...
when i do the status command it shows disabled

root@coreserver1:~# systemctl status pve-daily-update.timer
○ pve-daily-update.timer - Daily PVE download activities
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pve-daily-update.timer; disabled; preset: enabled)
Active: inactive (dead)
Trigger: n/a
Triggers: ● pve-daily-update.service
root@coreserver1:~#

at the end i followed that command but nothing changed, and the repos for updates in proxmox web ui are disabled
someone here?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!