Update to 8.2 broke the entire system

The partition containing the /boot

> sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/RESCUE/boot <

Basically you can't do anything wrong :)

You will find some kernels here - if it's not /dev/sda1 maybe /dev/nvmeSOMETHING ...

Code:
# ls  /media/RESCUE/boot
System.map-6.5.13-5-pve  config-6.5.13-5-pve  grub                     initrd.img-6.8.4-3-pve  vmlinuz-6.8.4-2-pve
System.map-6.8.4-2-pve   config-6.8.4-2-pve   initrd.img-6.5.13-5-pve  pve                     vmlinuz-6.8.4-3-pve
System.map-6.8.4-3-pve   config-6.8.4-3-pve   initrd.img-6.8.4-2-pve   vmlinuz-6.5.13-5-pve

if you plan to use the pin, you might need to mount also more parts - other then the boot - but then the grub rescue is not the 100% correct approach to follow.

The boot loader grub is working :) you showed a video. What is not working the kernel.
This Ii my lsblk --fs.
There is no partition flagged as /boot

Attachments

• IMG20240510044842.jpg
    IMG20240510044842.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Der Harry
What does /media/RESCUE/boot contain after you mounted the root filesystem?

But your grub is booting :)

Probably your monitor is too slow and you don't get the 3sec countdown time.
Please read my messages. I already made a suggestion about this...

This Ii my lsblk --fs.
There is no partition flagged as /boot

There will be never a /boot partition when starting from the rescue system. Not possible. The rescue system only shows poatitions.

There is at last one partition that has the kernels and acts as boot parition.

(but anyway thats so deep down the rabit hole and - we don't have a grub problem - we need to chroot into your system and change the defautl kernel - that's not covered in 100% defauls by the grub tutorial)

So you don't have a separate boot partition. That part of the guide might be outdated or refer to systems that were installed on top of vanilla Debian.

You have a 6.5.x kernel.

I suggest rebooting ... try to hammer the up/down keys.

Grub will - eventually stop it's counter.

Then got and select the 6.5 kernel - that's the simples approach from here.

You have a 6.5.x kernel.

I suggest rebooting ... try to hammer the up/down keys.

Grub will - eventually stop it's counter.

Then got and select the 6.5 kernel - that's the simples approach from here.
Managed to mount and bind everything, but at the update-grub i get command not found

Managed to mount and bind everything, but at the update-grub i get command not found
The Tutorial doesn't match 100% your needs or your existing system.

I repeat myself - you don't have to mess with grub. The grub bootloader is in a perfect condition. Don't break it :)

Try to make - a one time boot - into the grub kernel selection menu.

- Reboot
- Hammer on your keyboard the up/down key after the bios.
- eventually the grub counter will stop
- select a 6.5 kernel (this is an one time boot)

-> the grub rescue thing is also possible but the documentation doesn't reflect your system/needs

The Tutorial doesn't match 100% your needs or your existing system.

I repeat myself - you don't have to mess with grub. The grub bootloader is in a perfect condition. Don't break it :)

Try to make - a one time boot - into the grub kernel selection menu.

- Reboot
- Hammer on your keyboard the up/down key after the bios.
- eventually the grub counter will stop
- select a 6.5 kernel (this is an one time boot)

-> the grub rescue thing is also possible but the documentation doesn't reflect your system/needs
I hammered the keyboard already, i dont get that menu at all

I hammered the keyboard already, i dont get that menu at all

So you need a (beginner friendly) tutorial on how to also mount the root disk - not only the /boot partition.

I am not aware where to find one.

(basically 2 additional steps)

I have got to a point: i am missing the /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
Upon pinning the 6.5 kernel, its unable to write in grub.cfg because its not there. How do i rebuild it?

I have got to a point: i am missing the /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
Upon pinning the 6.5 kernel, its unable to write in grub.cfg because its not there. How do i rebuild it?
Code:
root@proxmox:~# head -7 /boot/grub/grub.cfg
#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

The tutorial you are covering - for grub (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Recover_From_Grub_Failure) - only covers on how to mount the /boot parition in the chrooted enviornment.

In order to have access to the /etc, /bin ... you need - also - to mount the proxmox root partition.

That is -> not <- covered by that tutorial.

Probably -> sudo mount /dev/pve/root /media/RESCUE/ <- should do that trick - but it doesn't.

I can fix the problem - however - via forum / facebook / no hands on it's a super hard thing.

Proably you can find a tutorial or investigate why it's not mounted.

It is required that you have after the chroot /media/RESCUE in the chrooted enviornment access to the /bin, /etc.... dir of your pve host - you can easily test it with cat /etc/hostname

Code:
root@proxmox:~# head -7 /boot/grub/grub.cfg
#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

The tutorial you are covering - for grub (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Recover_From_Grub_Failure) - only covers on how to mount the /boot parition in the chrooted enviornment.

In order to have access to the /etc, /bin ... you need - also - to mount the proxmox root partition.

That is -> not <- covered by that tutorial.

Probably -> sudo mount /dev/pve/root /media/RESCUE/ <- should do that trick - but it doesn't.

I can fix the problem - however - via forum / facebook / no hands on it's a super hard thing.

Proably you can find a tutorial or investigate why it's not mounted.

It is required that you have after the chroot /media/RESCUE in the chrooted enviornment access to the /bin, /etc.... dir of your pve host - you can easily test it with cat /etc/hostname
I have everything mounted correctly, i am in the chroot of my server, as cat /etc/hostname returned the hostname of my server. There i found out there is no grub.cfg and there is no existing grub in /etc/default/grub either

How was the system installed originally? On top of Debian? Maybe you are not even using GRUB as the bootloader?

How was the system installed originally? On top of Debian? Maybe you are not even using GRUB as the bootloader?
Native Proxmox 7 install, cant remember wich version in particular, then upgraded to 8.1.3. Speaking of grub, i am using grub because i have a gpu passthrough too

Native Proxmox 7 install, cant remember wich version in particular, then upgraded to 8.1.3. Speaking of grub, i am using grub because i have a gpu passthrough too
I am trying to send you a showcase :)

Give me some time - I can't promise if this is helping...

Reactions: MrnMrk
I am trying to send you a showcase :)

Give me some time - I can't promise if this is helping...
if you have the chance, send me both files /default/grub and grub.cfg, i cant find any default for pve 8.x unfortunately, then i have to figure out a way to push them.
Is there a way to ssh/scp in the mounted folders from the Proxmox install shell? Or i am better off booting a live cd?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!