[SOLVED] Synology NFS mount in cluster

KevinGoos

May 24, 2019
I am trying all day to mount an NFS share inside my proxmox cluster. These NFS shares already contains data from a previous cluster I ran.
But for some reason it won't mount correctly.

I run a proxmox cluster with 2 nodes and a synology nas as fileshare.
Both my proxmox servers have 2 network interfaces:
- 1 connecting to management network (10.20.0.21) (1 gbit)
- 1 connecting to server network (10.10.0.21) (10 gbit - also containing synology nas)
Those vlan's cannot talk to each other (configured on pfsense and my unifi switch)

1700422929079.png

This adds perfectly but the moment I want to access the folder I get:
1700423189044.png

Code:
Nov 19 20:42:31 ROGER pvestatd[982]: unable to activate storage 'VM_DISKS' - directory '/mnt/pve/VM_DISKS' does not exist or is unreachable
Nov 19 20:42:39 ROGER pvestatd[982]: got timeout

I can also ping the NAS from this server.

My synology setup is as followed:
1700423314656.png
1700423333499.png

When I do a test mount using mount -av it also hangs indefently

1700422631855.png

I don't know where to look furhter for clues...

Is your DSM on the Synology up to date? There was a recent update for DSM that included changes in NFS. You could try to set the maximum NFS version in DSM to v4.

Reactions: KevinGoos
I am running the latest version (DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 2).
Setting NFSv4 doesn't look to help. I can also try 4.1 but this will also probably don't do shit.

1700431533337.png
Jep, this shows both servers in the cluster are in this mount and in the others
(I only added the actual interface that is connecting, in the server network, and not the interface that is running the UI)

So because off you're post, I started checked everything on my switches and discovered that the jumbo frames on my new 10gbit switch where disabled.
This while my 10gbit network cards have mtu 9000.

So after fixing this mistake everything started working properly. What a stupid mistake :rolleyes:

So now I also enabled NFS4.1 and it is still working fine...

Cool, it's nice if it works now! :)

You may think of it as a stupid mistake, but it also teaches you what details you can pay attention to. So don't look at it as a mistake but as an experience that you have now!

Reactions: KevinGoos
Cool, it's nice if it works now! :)

You may think of it as a stupid mistake, but it also teaches you what details you can pay attention to. So don't look at it as a mistake but as an experience that you have now!
Haha, that is true. As a software developer by trade, I know it is always the most stupid mistakes you will never forget ;)
The only sad part is that it took me a day to discover it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!