Shareable virtual disks

Jul 21, 2022
Hello.
I'm looking for information on how to share virtual hard disks between two VMs, but I can't find anything.
I have a "server" with two physical hard disks: on the first one is installed Proxmox and on the second one is where I create all the VMs.
I would like to be able to create two virtual machines (Oracle Linux). Each VM has its virtual hard disk where the OS and software is installed. I would like to create 4 virtual disks (for data) that could be shared with those two VMs. The idea is to create a two node RAC with shared storage. Is this possible in Proxmox?

My version of Proxmox is 7.2-7

Many thanks!!!

There is no mechanism for sharing disks between VM's apart from the usual nfs or samba filesharing.

Virtfs would be an option but it isn't integrated in PVE yet. But you could configure it yourself up using the CLI.

There is no mechanism for sharing disks between VM's apart from the usual nfs or samba filesharing.
This statement omits a few of the primary ways that block storage is shared in enterprise - iSCSI or NVMeOF, not to mention FC.

Qemu/KVM also provides support for doing something like this with qcow/raw disks, however its not integrated/supported in PVE.
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/shared-disk-on-all-vm.109851/

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

It is a pity to read that there is no support for this. Knowing that "simple" software like VirtualBox or VMware products support these features and not Proxmox, I'm a bit disappointed.

Thanks to all!

I strongly discourage doing it, but you can use one virtual disk in two VMs at the same time by editing the config and changing the disk name. Again, doesn't seem like a good idea.
PVE doesn't know about shared disks (that means no synchronization or whatever), so it most likely leads to lots of issues.
At least you need a shared disk file system.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!