Server 2008 freezing

M

MJennings

Anyone have any problems with server 2008 x64 freezing? I just did two fresh installs and after the install, the KVM will just show a black screen instead of booting windows. And it will take 100% cpu. Xp and server 2003 run fine.

I've got a 2008 x64 running without problem...

Code:
neptune2:/etc/pve# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.5-8 (pve-manager/1.5/4674)
running kernel: 2.6.24-9-pve
pve-kernel-2.6.24-9-pve: 2.6.24-18
pve-kernel-2.6.24-8-pve: 2.6.24-16
qemu-server: 1.1-11
pve-firmware: 1.0-3
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-10
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.23-1pve8
vzdump: 1.2-5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1

IDE disk (for the moment) and virtio NIC

Code:
neptune2:/etc/qemu-server# cat 103.conf 
name: testwin2k8
ide2: local:iso/virtio-setup-200908.iso,media=cdrom
vlan0: virtio=1E:40:4A:13:C7:36
ostype: w2k8
memory: 8172
sockets: 4
ide0: local:iso/SW_DVD5_Windows_Svr_2008w_SP2_English__x64_DC_EE_SE_X15-41371.ISO,media=cdrom
onboot: 0
cores: 1
boot: da
freeze: 0
cpuunits: 1000
acpi: 1
kvm: 1
ide1: Proxmox-SR:vm-103-disk-1

IDE disk (for the moment) and virtio NIC?

I've 64bit Win2k8, too. But I tried to use VIRTIO drv, but Win give me at boot error that driver are not signed nad not boot.
It boot only if I choose "skipping signing driver".
Have you info for signing VIRTIO drivers?

We also sometimes observe this problem. Yes, Stop and Start helps, another Method is to just wait for about 40 Minutes.
I always thought the Windows is doing something "magic" like a filesystem check in these Situations.

The same problem here.

With a fresh installation of windows 2008 x64, when i deactivate the IPV6 option on the network card, the VM freeze for about 40 minutes (problem tested on 4 installations of windows 2008).

Best regards.

So the solution is to re-enable ipv6 ?
I've disabled schduled defragmentation as I'm running on a SSD but windows detects a normal drive.

I observed that recently (today and last saturday), 2 times in 3 days. Never seen that before in 4 months.
My host vm partition is 100% full so I thought it was the cause.

No, the vm freeze when I deactivate the IPv6, but after everything works.

I think i have found the problem for my vm : I use only e1000 emulation driver for my windows vm and I have the freeze problme, I switched to rtl8139 emulation driver without any problems when I activate/deactivate IPv6, when I activate/deactivate the network card, etc... I think there is a problem with the e1000 driver...

Best regards.

I also found my problem: the vm freezes when the host drive is full and the vm wants to use more Space and the vm drive file sizes are set to dynamic grow.

I removed Some files on the vm and all's running fine again.

Hi
I saw the very same problem today - latest W2k8 Web x64 R2 to be installed

pve running:
pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.6-2 (pve-manager/1.6/5087)
running kernel: 2.6.32-4-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.6-19
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-19
pve-kernel-2.6.18-2-pve: 2.6.18-5
qemu-server: 1.1-18
pve-firmware: 1.0-8
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-14
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-7
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.12.5-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4

I see a _big_ performance difference on the virtual server having RAM between 512 MB and 2 GB - the final decision was to go with 1 GB for resources, while performance is acceptable, 512 MB makes even the setup process unbearable.

Also running on 2 GB RAM it never black-screened - but this might be simple coincidence.

Windows-Updates are a big pain anyway as the server-reboot seems always to kill the virtual machine right now - this is not nice - and we have no idea on how to debug this issue.

And for virtio-drivers - I'd kill for some x64 certified virtio-drivers :)

Hi again,
I have to add - memory is not the issue obviously - it is an automated reboot done by the W2k8-server in its VM - then it does the reboot, but can't boot successfully - hangs somewhere in black-screen-mode with 100% cpu-usage.

please - any ideas here?

thank you
hk

Yes they are working perfectly on 2008.

There are also balloon drivers (to let the host manage the memory dynamically in the guest) but I do not know how to install them.
If you find out let me know.

And for virtio-drivers - I'd kill for some x64 certified virtio-drivers :)

Redhat provides signed virtio drivers but only under their license terms.

I also see this sometimes when windows updates are installed and a reboot is done. I had to stop the VM and start again - doing a normal boot.

I just installed a fresh win2008r2 with these virtio driver ISO and it works, also nic. cool!

Hey,

I'm trying to install 2008 R2 64bit also, i tried many different way nows and always it stops at boot, trying to find hardrive to boot from and press Fx to enter boot options (SeaBIOS)

What is the correct method to make this work, please guide me Im a noob at this and I would like to know excatly how you did the updating with the NIC drivers if that is the solution :)

thanks

Hi again,
those virtio drivers from RedHat do make my day - rebooting works now within the W2k8 R2 x64 server.

@proxmoxnoob: do set the virtio HDD to boot in virtual-machine options in PVE.

regards
hk

Would someone be kind to explain me the nessesary steps to install these drivers and make this installation of an ISO image of Win2k8 64 work? Also which file, is it i need excatly and how during installation i guess?

thank you very much

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!