Proxmox VE 8.1 released!

The pre-defined option was removed for now as with the serial terminal entries the menu got overly crowded, and one can always pass that option to the kernel command line easily any way, see this post: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-8-installer-freezes-at-boot.129341/page-3#post-608469
Thanks for helping.
I read the post and still can't find it, when it doesn't crash it doesn't find the iso.
My computer has an NVIDIA graphics card, so it crashes when I try to start in graphics mode and in terminal mode it also crashes as it tries to load the drivers.

When I press `e` and type nomodeset it shows:
searching for block device containing the ISO proxmox-ve-8.1-1
with ISO ID `1417249e-...db54a0`
testing again in 1 seconds
testing again in 2 seconds
Error on device with valid ISO Found, please check your installation medium unable to continue.

Gilberto is right, if you do not actively configure SDN it won't do anything.
In my case it broke my connection at work, I'm behind a Zscaler and I dont have acces to my VMs (juste the database interface) And on the SDN menu I have a Zscaler page with :

1702473038252.png

If I dont use the reverse proxy and go trough port forwarding it works. (Reverse proxy by synology)

You have to use the new version of the driver. You can look it up in the changelog of R8168-dkms package:

The problem: it requires dkms >= 3.0.11

So you have to do the following:

apt-get install linux-headers-6.5.11-4-pve (to install the new headers)
download the dkms 3.0.12-1 package from here: LINK
download the r8168-dkms 8.052.01-1 from here: LINK
copy it to the proxmox server
apt-get install ./dkms_3.0.12-1_all.deb
apt-get install ./r8168-dkms_8.052.01-1_all.deb

And voila - it is working again without risking the old bug occuring after some weeks of uptime.
Not necessarily.
In my case when the network recompile process broke with new proxmox, I had to connect the screen and boot into the previous kernel. Then I removed all the DKMS stuff with purge. And voila, the stock r8169 driver took over and works well again. 10 days and no problem! No need for DKMS for me.

Not necessarily.
In my case when the network recompile process broke with new proxmox, I had to connect the screen and boot into the previous kernel. Then I removed all the DKMS stuff with purge. And voila, the stock r8169 driver took over and works well again. 10 days and no problem! No need for DKMS for me.

This is what I thought as well, however after about 10 days, I ran into the same issue again. So you should mentally prepare for that already :D

The fix posted here by @marcus.cps unfortunately didn't work for me, I get the following error:
Code:
[ 1.251194] r8168: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel. proxmox
[ 1.251204] r8168: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel

And my system falls back to the r8169 driver :( It's a lot more stable with Proxmox 8.1 (disconnect takes several days to weeks instead of hours like in the past) - but it doesn't look like it's completely fixed with the r8169 driver.

Last edited:
You have to use the new version of the driver. You can look it up in the changelog of R8168-dkms package:

The problem: it requires dkms >= 3.0.11

So you have to do the following:

apt-get install linux-headers-6.5.11-4-pve (to install the new headers)
download the dkms 3.0.12-1 package from here: LINK
download the r8168-dkms 8.052.01-1 from here: LINK
copy it to the proxmox server
apt-get install ./dkms_3.0.12-1_all.deb
apt-get install ./r8168-dkms_8.052.01-1_all.deb

And voila - it is working again without risking the old bug occuring after some weeks of uptime.
i did everything as you posted. After reboot still no web interface. What can i do?

I also have no webinterface after 2 days from upgrade 8.0.3 to 8.1.3. Also no SSH to the machine. I also use a 10gig Intel LAN controller.
On day one of the update everything was fine. Webinterface and SSH connect.

What can i do? All VM´s are seem to be running fine.. But no Webinterface and no SSH connect to the proxmox itself.

I just want to say something to all proxmox staff: Danke für dieses tolle Upgradeerlebnis, habe meinen Proxmox HA Cluster und PBS ohne jegliche Unterbrechung und ohne Probleme durchführen können, trotz diverser PCIe Karten und USB-Devices. Ihr sats die besten!

I'm having issues trying to flash 8.1 fresh install. I don't know if this is the right channel. I'm getting "cannot display this video mode" error on a black screen. I have tried to reflash the install USB and boot to the install USB via UEFI and Legacy. I don't know what the different between the three options. I tried all 3 with the same outcome.

20231229_204848.jpg20231229_204215.jpg

I was doing this to try and solve an issue I was having on version 7.4 with VT-d/IOMMU where I was unable to pass through a PCIe device to a VM. I don't get the display issue on 7.4.

Thanks!

I'm having issues trying to flash 8.1 fresh install. I don't know if this is the right channel. I'm getting "cannot display this video mode" error on a black screen. I have tried to reflash the install USB and boot to the install USB via UEFI and Legacy. I don't know what the different between the three options. I tried all 3 with the same outcome.

View attachment 60503View attachment 60504

I was doing this to try and solve an issue I was having on version 7.4 with VT-d/IOMMU where I was unable to pass through a PCIe device to a VM. I don't get the display issue on 7.4.

Thanks!
It's AFAIK a simplefb (simple framebuffer) module issue. It has been corrected in Kernel 6.5.11-7, but you'll install 6.5.11-4 with Proxmox VE 8.1.
Install Proxmox VE 8.0 and upgrade.

This is what I thought as well, however after about 10 days, I ran into the same issue again. So you should mentally prepare for that already :D

The fix posted here by @marcus.cps unfortunately didn't work for me, I get the following error:
Code:
[ 1.251194] r8168: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel. proxmox
[ 1.251204] r8168: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel

And my system falls back to the r8169 driver :( It's a lot more stable with Proxmox 8.1 (disconnect takes several days to weeks instead of hours like in the past) - but it doesn't look like it's completely fixed with the r8169 driver.

Ok I got it figured out.

1. apt install mokutil
2. mokutil --import /var/lib/dkms/mok.pub (you can use any password)
3. vi /usr/src/r8168-8.052.01/Makefile. (if you have different version, adjust accordingly)
add the below line at the top of where variables are defined:
CONFIG_MODULE_SIG=n
4. dkms build -m r8168 -v 8.052.01 -k $(uname -r) --force. (please note the version of the driver, you might need to adjust that if you have a different version)
5. update-initramfs -c -k $(uname -r)

If AutoTrim is enabled on your SSD ZFS pool, try turning it off and reboot your host.
zpool autotrim=off yourpool

High load due to vdev_autotrim process in "D" state (uninterruptible sleep)

autotrim=on
Code:
ps aux | grep " [RD]"
USER         PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
root         417  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        D<   11:48   0:00 [vdev_autotrim]
root        7592  0.0  0.0  12692  4096 pts/0    R+   11:57   0:00 ps aux

autotrim=off
Code:
ps aux | grep " [RD]"
root        5288  0.0  0.0  12564  4224 pts/0    R+   12:08   0:00 ps aux
I have the same issue on two servers with zfs autotrim=on https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-ve-8-1-3-abnormal-load.139142/

If AutoTrim is enabled on your SSD ZFS pool, try turning it off and reboot your host.
zpool autotrim=off yourpool

High load due to vdev_autotrim process in "D" state (uninterruptible sleep)

autotrim=on
Code:
ps aux | grep " [RD]"
root         417  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        D<   11:48   0:00 [vdev_autotrim]
root        7592  0.0  0.0  12692  4096 pts/0    R+   11:57   0:00 ps aux

autotrim=off
Code:
ps aux | grep " [RD]"
root        5288  0.0  0.0  12564  4224 pts/0    R+   12:08   0:00 ps aux
For reference, upstream bug report: https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/issues/15453

I wrote nothing about "do not use any media" option existance, i wrote about add button disabled, when you choose "Use physical CD/DVD" or "Do not use any media". Rechecked on fresh installation.
I confirm that bug. I'm unable to set empty CD on an exisiting VM.

Hi,
Does Proxmox now use 16k as new default because of ZFS 2.2.0?
yes, a newly created pool will use a default volblocksize=16K for zvols.

EDIT: turns out, there is no pool-wide setting so this is actually the default for all newly created zvols (not just on new pools)

Last edited:
Reactions: IsThisThingOn

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!