Proxmox Networking Not Working

TLSCONFIG

Mar 20, 2024
This is my first time using Proxmox, and I went through the installation and got it all setup. I left the networking default and just changed the hostname. Everything installed fine, but when I try to access my server in the browser, it does not work. It seems as though it has no networking on it at all. I have tried to use curl to request a site, and I have also tried to ping, but it does not work.

Any help is much appreciated.

Lots of similar threads start with these questions: Can you login to the Proxmox host console and show the output of cat /etc/network/interfaces and ip a? Also, what is the DHCP-range of your local network router?

Lots of similar threads start with these questions: Can you login to the Proxmox host console and show the output of cat /etc/network/interfaces and ip a? Also, what is the DHCP-range of your local network router?
Thanks for the quick reply. I did see a similar post about this, and I did run these commands, and from what I could see, everything looked alright. Below is a picture of the output.

In regards to the DHCP range I am not even sure how I would check that; I am currently trying to get this setup in my university dorm, so I do not have access to the router. I did the basics, like whitelisting the eno1 interface (I'm pretty sure this is the correct one). And regards to IP, I just left it as the one that Proxmox chose; I assumed it was able to use DHCP to get this?
20240320_181508.jpg

I find it unlikely that IP address of your local network router is 192.168.100.1 (and that your local subnet is 192.168.100.0/24). You already said you used the default 192.168.100.2 but that one usually does not work. You need to chose an unused IP address within you local subnet (or do advanced network configuration) that is outside of the DHCP-range.
What IP addresses do other systems on your local network use? What gateway address (the IP address of your router) do those systems use?

I find it unlikely that IP address of your local network router is 192.168.100.1 (and that your local subnet is 192.168.100.0/24). You already said you used the default 192.168.100.2 but that one usually does not work. You need to chose an unused IP address within you local subnet (or do advanced network configuration) that is outside of the DHCP-range.
What IP addresses do other systems on your local network use? What gateway address (the IP address of your router) do those systems use?
Checking on my Windows, that has an IP address of 10.88.4.161, and that says the default gateway is 10.88.255.254. Is there an easy method to see which IP addresses are free in the range?

Checking on my Windows, that has an IP address of 10.88.4.161, and that says the default gateway is 10.88.255.254. Is there an easy method to see which IP addresses are free in the range?
Looks like your local subnet is 10.88.0.0/16 but you'll have to check your router (at 10.88.255.254) to be sure and to also see it's DHCP range. I assume you know how to look into this and which IP addresses you have assigned to various servers on your local network (besides DHCP). Maybe learn a bit about IPv4 and networking (as you'll eventually need to become the network administrator for your various VMs anyway).

Looks like your local subnet is 10.88.0.0/16 but you'll have to check your router (at 10.88.255.254) to be sure and to also see it's DHCP range. I assume you know how to look into this and which IP addresses you have assigned to various servers on your local network (besides DHCP). Maybe learn a bit about IPv4 and networking (as you'll eventually need to become the network administrator for your various VMs anyway).
When I go to my default gateway, though, I am not able to access this. Like I said, I am trying to do this on university internet, so I am limited to what I do have access to. Is there any other method to figure out my DHCP range? And when it comes to finding an IP that is not taken, I know the IP address of the devices that I own and their IPS, but I cannot account for any other people's devices.

I will definitely look into IPv4 and networking just so that I can configure things like this in the future.

Also, going back to this, is there anyway to change these settings from the host console, or do I need to reinstall and do it from the installer on the ISO?

I was also thinking it might be best for me to install a desktop environment and let that take care of getting an IP address and then installing proxmox on that instead of doing it via the ISO.

Like I said, I am trying to do this on university internet, so I am limited to what I do have access to. Is there any other method to figure out my DHCP range? And when it comes to finding an IP that is not taken, I know the IP address of the devices that I own and their IPS, but I cannot account for any other people's devices.
Ask the network administrator if they can reserve a static IP address for you (and hope nobody else uses it?
Or install and configure DHCP on Proxmox. Look for a Debian (on which Proxmox is build) guide for help on this.
Also, going back to this, is there anyway to change these settings from the host console, or do I need to reinstall and do it from the installer on the ISO?
You can edit /etc/network/interfaces using any editor you like (you maybe have to install that editor yourself, or just use nano).
I was also thinking it might be best for me to install a desktop environment and let that take care of getting an IP address and then installing proxmox on that instead of doing it via the ISO.
That will only work for a short while and then you'll get problems, as that IP address will eventually be assigned to other DHCP clients (since Proxmox does not do DHCP out of the box).

There is also a subforum on Proxmox networking and there are probably threads on these forums about setting up DHCP.

Ask the network administrator if they can reserve a static IP address for you (and hope nobody else uses it?
Or install and configure DHCP on Proxmox. Look for a Debian (on which Proxmox is build) guide for help on this.

You can edit /etc/network/interfaces using any editor you like (you maybe have to install that editor yourself, or just use nano).

That will only work for a short while and then you'll get problems, as that IP address will eventually be assigned to other DHCP clients (since Proxmox does not do DHCP out of the box).

There is also a subforum on Proxmox networking and there are probably threads on these forums about setting up DHCP.
Alright, so I will take a look at the subforum specific to networking, and I will install and configure DHCP for Proxmox. I need to edit my interface file and change the range and default gateway.

At least I now know the issue and have a game plan.

Is this a home environment or are you in a corporate network? If its the former, then it would appear that your ISP is controlling the IPs. If its the latter then I would caution you from installing DHCP or messing with networking too much, or you can find an angry Network Admin accompanied by HR at your desk.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Is this a home environment or are you in a corporate network? If its the former, then it would appear that your ISP is controlling the IPs. If its the latter then I would caution you from installing DHCP or messing with networking too much, or you can find an angry Network Admin accompanied by HR at your desk.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
This is a university network, set up similarly to a corporate one. However, I did notice that once I whitelisted the mac address of my Ethernet adapter, I was assigned an IP address for it, which I set in the interfaces file, and I changed the default gateway and rebooted. However, the issue is still there: networking is not working.

I did notice that once I whitelisted the mac address of my Ethernet adapter, I was assigned an IP address for it, which I set in the interfaces file, and I changed the default gateway and rebooted. However, the issue is still there: networking is not working.
Thats a lot of changes since the last time you presented your running and saved configuration. You will need to provide new outputs of:
cat /etc/network/interfaces
ip a
ip r
ping [gw]
hostname
cat /etc/hosts
cat /etc/hostname

Preferably in text form encoded in CODE tags.

And, as was mentioned before, taking a dynamic IP you received and assigning it statically is not a good idea. The corporate/university DHCP server may eventually retire your lease and assign it to another PC, creating a duplicate IP problem. Granted, it should not happen in properly managed environment, but if it does - you will be the fall guy.

Thats a lot of changes since the last time you presented your running and saved configuration. You will need to provide new outputs of:
cat /etc/network/interfaces
ip a
ip r
ping [gw]
hostname
cat /etc/hosts
cat /etc/hostname

Preferably in text form encoded in CODE tags.

And, as was mentioned before, taking a dynamic IP you received and assigning it statically is not a good idea. The corporate/university DHCP server may eventually retire your lease and assign it to another PC, creating a duplicate IP problem. Granted, it should not happen in properly managed environment, but if it does - you will be the fall guy.

Here is the output for the interfaces file:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet stat ic
    address 10.87.12.233/24
    gateway 10.87.255.254
    bridge-ports eno1
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

iface eno2 inet manual
iface eno3 inet manual
iface eno4 inet manual

Here is the output for the ip a
20240320_212428.jpg

Here is the output for ip r
Code:
Default via 10.87.255.254 dev vmbr0 proto kernel onlink
10.87.12.0/24 dev vmbr0 proto kernel scope link src 10.87.12.233

Whenever I try to ping I just get errors saying it failed to resolve

hostname
PHP:
proxmox

hosts
Code:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.100.2 promox.acluster.com proxmox

Apologies about the image I type most of them out as this is being done on another computer and I have no means of copying the output directory.

address 10.87.12.233/24 gateway 10.87.255.254
This matches your screenshot and is also likely incorrect. The IP is configured on /24 subnet and so can only reach a subset of /16 global subnet.
https://jodies.de/ipcalc?host=10.87.12.0&mask1=24&mask2=

Please check the subnet again on your PC.
But a better route is to follow the link provided by @gfngfn256 and properly configure DHCP client on PVE as you are tied to it anyway.

And you can see that your hosts file is not updated properly.

In your situation. One piece of advice: I don't know your personal HW setup (in your room) - but you'll need to keep a monitor and keyboard available to be able to easily attach to the server itself, to be able to check / adjust network connectivity. You maybe on a laptop anyway.

This matches your screenshot and is also likely incorrect. The IP is configured on /24 subnet and so can only reach a subset of /16 global subnet.
https://jodies.de/ipcalc?host=10.87.12.0&mask1=24&mask2=

Please check the subnet again on your PC.
But a better route is to follow the link provided by @gfngfn256 and properly configure DHCP client on PVE as you are tied to it anyway.

And you can see that your hosts file is not updated properly.

I made the changes in the hosts file, and I also changed the subnet to /16. However, when I go to the http://10.87.12.233:8006/ url in my browser, it is not active.

In your situation. One piece of advice: I don't know your personal HW setup (in your room) - but you'll need to keep a monitor and keyboard available to be able to easily attach to the server itself, to be able to check / adjust network connectivity. You maybe on a laptop anyway.
yeah, I got a spare keyboard and mouse which are attach right now and have another monitor attached so that I can adjust stuff.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!