LSI MegaRAID 9341-4i controller supported in Proxmox VE 8 ?

JensV1999

May 9, 2021
Hi

I'm currently researching in updating from PVE 7.4-17 to 8.

I currently have the LSI MegaRAID 9341-4i Raid card installed and is detected and working in proxmox 7 as you can see from the pictures below :

Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 00.11.52.png

Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 00.09.55.pngScreenshot 2023-12-26 at 00.12.45.png

When I upgrade to Proxmox 8 should I be worried that my card will not be detected anymore? And get situations like this :
- https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/p...n-ssd-connected-to-avago-9341-4i-card.113182/
- https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-can´t-see-the-virtual-disk-provided-by-lsi-raid-controller.81722/

because when updating, I can imagine the OS image will change from Linux-5.15.131-2-pve to something higher or at least a new kernel version with Debian Bookworm and the device stops communicating with the kernel.

I also read multiple things on the internet, like it has a build-in driver and doesn't really matter which version of Debian/ubuntu you are running. (but why did I need to install the driver then ) . Other say there card stops working ... So I'm kind of lost in the information and hope to get a clear answer on how this actually works =D

PS : I don't have access to a spare card I can test it with but are there maybe ways to test it without doing damage ?

Thanks in advance

any update on this..?
mine is a megaraid 9441-8i (Dell)
thought I was buying a 9440-8i broadcom megaraid

Card is in IT-Mode (Controller-BIOS-Setting HBA). In 8.1 (Kernel 6.5) everything is fine.

I have the card running in 8.2.2 but I do have performance issues on JBOD since 8

i'd love to get my 9440 into IT mode...can you send a link?
edit - PS the BIOS is not showing the card; there is no PCI entry visible...

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!