Local NFS share preventing shutdown

Sep 8, 2016
I'm experiencing the following problem.

Node1 - normal node, uses NFS storage for VM images
Node2 - has the NFS storage as local disks, one is a ZFS array, the other is an fstab ext4 disk

Shutting down Node1 while Node2 is running works fine. System powers off.
Shutting down Node2 waits for 90 seconds on trying to unmount the /mnt/pve/share and although that status shows as OK, the system reaches the shutdown state yet remains powered on. If I manually unmount /mnt/pve/share and then stop the NFS server, the system shuts down as normal.

Where should I start looking to try to solve this problem? Is this something that is easily fixed?

I have a similar behaviour:

if I power on proxmox, then mount NFS shares I use for backup (i do it just booting a VM with Freenas Installed on which proxmox is configured to mount nfs shares) if I try to shutdown, proxmox reaches the shutdown state yet remains powered on ("reached target shutdown")

If I just power on proxmox without mounting the nfs shares (Without booting the VM with nas functionality), if I try to shut it down, it power off correctly.

Code:
Package versions
proxmox-ve: 4.3-66 (running kernel: 4.4.19-1-pve)
pve-manager: 4.3-1 (running version: 4.3-1/e7cdc165)
pve-kernel-4.4.19-1-pve: 4.4.19-66
lvm2: 2.02.116-pve3
corosync-pve: 2.4.0-1
libqb0: 1.0-1
pve-cluster: 4.0-46
qemu-server: 4.0-88
pve-firmware: 1.1-9
libpve-common-perl: 4.0-73
libpve-access-control: 4.0-19
libpve-storage-perl: 4.0-61
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.8-1
vncterm: 1.2-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.6.1-6
pve-container: 1.0-75
pve-firewall: 2.0-29
pve-ha-manager: 1.0-35
ksm-control-daemon: 1.2-1
glusterfs-client: 3.5.2-2+deb8u2
lxc-pve: 2.0.4-1
lxcfs: 2.0.3-pve1
criu: 1.6.0-1
novnc-pve: 0.5-8
zfsutils: 0.6.5.7-pve10~bpo80

Last edited:
Update:
if I mount an NFS share offered by another Nas Server (not a VM from the proxmox I mount the share) Proxmox shutdown properly.

if I mount an NFS shares offered by another Nas server, and shutdown this NAS server before Proxmox, then Proxmox server hangs on shutdown.

I even tried to deactivate the NFS share (through Proxmox gui) before to try to shutdown Nas and Proxmox, but the behaviour is the same: it hags on shutdown.

So it seems that Proxmox doesn't like to see disappearing an NFS Share, and this make Proxmox hanging on shutdown.

Any suggestion?

I know that, have the same problem since i use PVE as NFSstorage (ZFS too). VMs on the same machine: when i shuting down have this problem. VMs are also take a long time to shutdown, because the NFSserver service shutdown to fast. What i do is, klick the button "stop all VMs" after that i can shutdown/reboot the node normaly.

I think there must be an dependency problem. The other way is to use an force unmount on VMs and nodes. On the node with the nfsshare you use DIRECTORY not NFSshare. And for all other thinks littel shutdowservice: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/nfs-share-umount-f-problem-device-is-busy.26777/#post-134490

I solved this myself by doing what fireon suggested. On the node that has the NFS shares, I mount them as folders instead. It stops me being able to live migrate but that node is only for data storage anyway so has no running VMs besides a DC.

I solved this myself by doing what fireon suggested. On the node that has the NFS shares, I mount them as folders instead. It stops me being able to live migrate but that node is only for data storage anyway so has no running VMs besides a DC.
Nice :) Can you set your thread to solved please? Thanks.

Can you write an Bugreport please? https://bugzilla.proxmox.com I think it is an good idea to fix this in nfs-service (systemd). For example, but yes another workarround, but only on the host that export the nfsshare. But it looks likes not so easy because nfs-kernel-server on Debian8 has not systemdservicefile:
Code:
systemctl enable nfs-kernel-server.service  
Synchronizing state for nfs-kernel-server.service with sysvinit using update-rc.d... 
Executing /usr/sbin/update-rc.d nfs-kernel-server defaults 
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (empty) of script `nfs-kernel-server' overrides LSB defaults (2 3 4 5). 
insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 2 3 4 5 6) of script `nfs-kernel-server' overrides LSB defaults (0 1 6). 
insserv: script sudo-ldap: service sudo-ldap already provided! 
Executing /usr/sbin/update-rc.d nfs-kernel-server enable 
insserv: script sudo-ldap: service sudo-ldap already provided!

TimeoutSec=
A shorthand for configuring both TimeoutStartSec= and TimeoutStopSec= to the specified value.

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.service.html

Thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!