How to I update without dist-upgrade?

stra4d

Mar 1, 2012
I would like to update my fresh 4.3 installation without going to 4.4.

Is this possible with apt-get upgrade or will that mix some 4.3 and 4.4 stuff?

Background - tried out 4.4 and most of my VMs wouldn't start, couldn't get any info/answers here so I have done a reinstall to 4.3.

Is is possible?

You can update any single package separately. But the resulting combination is not tested, and not really expected to work. Instead, you should update and then try to debug, to find out what is going wrong.

Ok, so I reinstalled 4.3. Everything working fine. Upgraded to 4.4 (apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade). Same result - didn't start.

Next, did a restore (qmrestore --force) of the vm, now get this when attempting to start:

Code:
nc6: connection timed out
TASK ERROR: command '/bin/nc6 -l -p 5900 -w 10 -e '/usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 111 2>/dev/null'' failed: exit code 1

Now there is nothing on the console that happens at all (not even the black screen showing the PROXMOX logo).

There appear to be a couple of posts about that here which is unsolved and here which appears to say that TigerVNC is the solution? TigerVNC is not installed/enabled on my 4.4 server. Is this simply a VNC issue? It appears not to start at all now (nothing on the 'console' at all when selecting start)

Restored another CentOS5 VM, back to getting the VMs start (see the PROXMOX logo, start RedHat, black screen with Proxmox, nothing), then just hang.

Code:
acpi: 1
balloon: 1024
boot: dac
bootdisk: ide0
cores: 4
cpuunits: 1000
freeze: 0
ide0: drive2-vm:111/vm-111-disk-1.raw,size=35G
ide2: cdrom,media=cdrom
kvm: 1
memory: 8208
name: tydemo
net0: rtl8139=1E:23:FB:E9:3F:AD,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
sockets: 2
unused0: local-lvm:vm-111-disk-1

I have seen that kind of video effect myself, but given some time, it corrects itself on my end. Can you ssh/ping it after say, 5 minutes?

Code:
acpi: 1
balloon: 1024
boot: dac
bootdisk: ide0
cores: 4
cpuunits: 1000
freeze: 0
ide0: drive2-vm:111/vm-111-disk-1.raw,size=35G
ide2: cdrom,media=cdrom
kvm: 1
memory: 8208
name: tydemo
net0: rtl8139=1E:23:FB:E9:3F:AD,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
sockets: 2
unused0: local-lvm:vm-111-disk-1
Hi,
I used your settings in an ubuntu-VM without trouble.
But the VM was an ubuntu - so I connect an Cent-OS 7 live iso and boot from this. I got also video-output but the gui only.

So I switched to VMware compatible display and then i see more during booting (but have an lower display size at the end).

For tuning: You shoult not use rtl-network driver for linux systems - take virtio it's much faster. Same for the hdd.

Udo

Reactions: stra4d
Can you please try setting the Display to "std" explicitly in the Hardware tab and see if that makes a difference?
If that doesn't help please try with all packages updated but pve-qemu-kvm <= 2.7.0-9.This might be bug #1237

Reactions: stra4d
Can you please try setting the Display to "std" explicitly in the Hardware tab and see if that makes a difference?
If that doesn't help please try with all packages updated but pve-qemu-kvm <= 2.7.0-9.This might be bug #1237

I tried the standard display. I get the gui (yeah!) but its horrible. Tiny (easily fixed) but the mouse doesn't track so you have two mouse pointers and they move at different rates.

So some kind of incompatibility with CentOS 5? B/c same settings work fine w/ CentOS 6.

Tried VMware compatible, worked as well. For anyone else w/ issues using CentOS 5 VMs, the best combo so far is the standard VGA video driver, then to fix the mouse issue using the vmware mouse driver as per this thread.

Thanks everyone!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!