[SOLVED] Problems Connecting to VNC

jjack

Aug 1, 2015
I've been using Proxmox for a couple of years now via containers and am just now needing to set up an IPSEC client VM.

Unfortunately, I'm having a heck of a time actually connecting to the VM through VNC to install and configure it.

When trying to connect through noVNC in the browser with Firefox and Chrome, on both Windows and Mac with Java installed, I get the following error:
Code:
Server disconnected (code: 1006).

In the Task Log, I get this error message:
Code:
nc6: connection timed out
TASK ERROR: command '/bin/nc6 -l -p 5900 -w 10 -e '/usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 109 2>/dev/null'' failed: exit code 1

I've tried running that command on my main Proxmox node on the command line to it use external VNC applications (Chicken of the VNC, Real VNC, OSX's built-in client) without much success.

Chicken of the VNC just tells me
Code:
Unknown authType 19

The Real VNC Viewer debug logs say
Code:
<15> 2016-09-30T17:47:00.645Z macbook vncviewer[22254]: CProtoPreV5: Server offers security type [unknown secType 19](19)

<14> 2016-09-30T17:47:00.645Z macbook vncviewer[22254]: CConnection: close: [NoMatchingSecTypes] Unable to connect to VNC Server using your chosen security setting. Either upgrade VNC Server to a more recent version from RealVNC, or select a weaker level of encryption.

They seem to get hung up on security/authentication type 19, which I've not been able to find any references as to what that actually is... but that seems to be what my Proxmox node wants to use.

I'm kind of at a loss as far as what to do next. I suspect there's a configuration setting somewhere that needs to be tweaked, I just can't seem to find what it is or where it is.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

They seem to get hung up on security/authentication type 19, which I've not been able to find any references as to what that actually is... but that seems to be what my Proxmox node wants to use.

This is Vencrypt auth - Tigervnc supports that...

Thank you, Dietmar! Using TigerVNC was the magic sauce that I was missing.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!