[SOLVED] Get VM Disk Details

awado

Mar 2, 2020
This is a fresh installation with ZFS. I have successfully migrated a 2TB VM from VirtualBox into Proxmox. Afterwards I deleted many unneeded big files within this VM. How can I tell what physical disk space this VM's disk is taking? I'm completely unsure, if the VM's trim mechanism works correct and if it's a qcow2 disk.

If the 2 TB-VM is also on ZFS (natively, meaning in a ZVOL): zfs list
What vdisk-type it is can you see on the hardware-tab of that VM. Otherwise post the output in code-tags of: qm config YourVMID (replace YourVMID with the actual numeric ID of that VM), as well as of: cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg here.

The hardware tab doesn't show any type.

Bash:
# qm config 100
agent: 1
boot: order=sata1;ide2;net0
cores: 8
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 8192
meta: creation-qemu=6.2.0,ctime=1662923244
name: Debian
net0: virtio=08:00:27:8a:9e:87,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: l26
sata1: local-zfs:vm-100-disk-1,size=2097151M
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=abccb18b-7bf4-4d1b-81bf-e07f8f24aef2
sockets: 1
vmgenid: 59505cc0-57e3-4b1f-848a-f15e30f89297

and

Bash:
# cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
        path /var/lib/vz
        content backup,vztmpl,iso

zfspool: local-zfs
        pool rpool/data
        content images,rootdir
        sparse 1

The hardware tab doesn't show any type.

It does:
sata1: local-zfs:vm-100-disk-1,size=2097151M

It is a ZVOL on the default rpool:
Bash:
zfspool: local-zfs
         pool rpool/data
         content images,rootdir
         sparse 1

Execute: zfs list on the PVE-host and look for: vm-100-disk-1.

But you do not have discard enabled. (discard=on is missing on the vdisk.) Edit the vdisk in the hardware-tab of the VM and tick: "Discard".
I am not sure, if discard works (in the meantime) with the virtual disk-interface sata, but with scsi it does definitely [1]. Maybe you have to change it.
Perhaps you also need to tick: "SSD Emulation".

After those changes, run fstrim -Av or fstrim -av [2] inside the VM and check, if the fstrim.timer is enabled: systemctl status fstrim.timer for automatic weekly trimming.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Shrink_Qcow2_Disk_Files#PVE_Configuration (Mainly for qcow2, but as mentioned there counts also for ZFS with thin-provision enabled (sparse 1).)
[2] https://manpages.debian.org/bullseye/util-linux/fstrim.8.en.html

Thanks a lot for this. Interresting insights. Can changes at the vdisk settings be done without any risk? And how can I tell, if the disk is qcow2 or raw? I used trimming on other VMs before, but they were freshly installed VM, not migrated VMs like this one. You may ask, why i won't make a backup and just try. Well, that's the point. The current VM disk ist too large to make a backup in a reasonable time. Trimming it would make it reasonable.

Changing disard or SSD emulation shouldn't be a problem. And don't forget to shutdown that VM, otherwise these changes won't be applied.
If its a zvol then its always raw, as zvols are block devices and qcow2 just works on file level.

In addition to what Dunuin said; if you want to see it black on white, have a look in your PVE there:
Screenshot 2022-09-15 052954.png

Changing from sata to scsi (on a powered off VM) should be no problem on a Linux-VM, as long as the whatever is used identifier in e.g. fstab stays the same; I assume. But to be honest, I never changed it afterwards. So you might want to recherche a bit and better test it on a Test-VM first.
On a Windows-VM, there would be some more steps needed: [1].

[1] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/change-guest-hard-drive-from-sata-to-scsi.106788/#post-459726

Tested it with another Debian VM, editing the conf file by hand. Switching from "scsi0" to "sata0" and vice versa doesn't harm the VM. Changing cache mode also not. Thanks a lot for all those clarifications.

Reactions: Neobin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!