[SOLVED] Error 401: permission denied - invalid PVE (importing ISO)

noname01

Feb 6, 2024

Hello, I have this error at the end of importing a 10GB ISO : Error 401: permission denied - invalid PVE​

I've looked on the forum and for many it's a Web GUI problem, personally I have no problems with my interface, I only get this error when importing this ISO, anyone have an idea ?

Thanks by advance

Last edited:

Hello, I have this error at the end of importing a 10GB ISO : Error 401: permission denied - invalid PVE​

I've looked on the forum and for many it's a Web GUI problem, personally I have no problems with my interface, I only get this error when importing this ISO, anyone have an idea ?

Thanks by advance
What is your storage design? Did you test an upload to a different storage? Do you have enough space left on your device (wouldn't expect permission denied) but check. What is the underlaying filesystem?

Hey, my storage is an external Ceph cluster (6 nodes), I didn't test any other storage because downloading a 10GB ISO with 100 mo/s bandwidth is time consuming but both tests I did on my Ceph storage returned the same error.

Yes, I have enough space on the devices. Currently use RDB as the underlying fs.

Last edited:
Hey, mon stockage est un cluster Ceph externe (6 nodes), je n'ai testé aucun autre stockage car télécharger un ISO de 10Go avec une bande passante de 100 mo/s est long mais les deux tests que j'ai fait sur mon stockage Ceph ont renvoyé la même erreur.

Oui, j'ai suffisamment d'espace sur les appareils. Utilisez actuellement RDB comme fs sous-jacent.
English speaking forum ...

Hey, my storage is an external Ceph cluster (6 nodes), I didn't test any other storage because downloading a 10GB ISO with 100 mo/s bandwidth is time consuming but both tests I did on my Ceph storage returned the same error.

Yes, I have enough space on the devices. Currently use RDB as the underlying fs.
so you used the download option with url. Did you try to upload from your notebook using the file upload? Just a small iso?

Are you able to download a small iso from url, sample an alpine linux iso. Just a few MB.

10 GB is quite big. As it's a very big ISO it could be a missleading error message.

Edit, is there enough space in /var/tmp?

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/changing-iso-files-location.120647/post-524061

Last edited:
No, I use an external disk (usb) as a download source, I just do the upload using the web gui so im not directly connect to the computer (this is why i explained the 100 mo/s (specific network with a 100 mo/s bandwidth)), but yes I was able to download another ISO file, it could be a misleading message but the ISO is not available ://

Last edited:
No, I use an external disk (usb) as a download source, I just do the upload using the web gui so im not directly connect to the computer (this is why i explained the 100 mo/s), but yes I was able to download another ISO file, it could be a misleading message but the ISO is not available ://
What I meant is, the server downloads to the temporary folder first, what is /var/tmp. When this folder hasn't 10 GB left the server isn't able to store the file there. Afterwards it tries to move from /var/tmp to your final download destination (the USB). It would fail although the destination has plenty of space.

The USB device is able to store 10 GB in a single file? I don't know wether you have any limitation on filesystem.

Reactions: noname01
My /var/tmp only has 4GO, so it can be the problem, i'll have a look, thanks a lot!

Yes, my USB fs is able to store 10 GB in a single file.

My /var/tmp only has 4GO, so it can be the problem, i'll have a look, thanks a lot!

Yes, my USB fs is able to store 10 GB in a single file.
the other link above has topic "how to move the temp folder". I didn't read thru but I guess you can "over"-mount to different location.

Another way to bypass /var/tmp (if you're in a hurry) is to start a console on the proxmox host, cd to /var/lib/vz/template/iso , and scp the file directly to that directory. Otherwise cd to whatever storage you're using for template/iso

Before I bit the bullet and reinstalled (had made my proxmox root way too small at 16GB) I redirected /var/tmp to a zfs pool / dataset with a soft symlink. There are multiple ways to workaround this issue

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!