DELETE_THIS_POST

Hi All,

I have been using PVE for a solid 3 years now and i'm quite happy with it except for this one issue.

How do I remove the popup for "No Valid Subscription". I have 2fa enabled. Now its enter username, password and then the 2fa. Plus the popup.
I am well aware that i installed the no subscription based PVE. I do not need a pop up to remind me every single time.

View attachment 63270

I have found this file but changing it does nothing.

/usr/share/javascript/proxmox-widget-toolkit/proxmoxlib.js

Thank you
Hi,
this question has already been answered multiple times in different thread in the forum. Please let me refer you to e.g. [0 - 2].

[0] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/no-subscription-license-no-valid-subscription-message.72863/
[1] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/howto-remove-popup-regarding-subscription-on-login.15987/
[2] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/you-do-not-have-a-valid-subscription-for-this-server.129198/

Reactions: nalle
Maybe the forum should have a FAQ with questions like this, subscriptions, installer IP address, replace ZFS mirror, shrink VM, change node name, two-node clusters, high memory usage, etc.

Reactions: alyarb
Maybe the forum should have a FAQ with questions like this, subscriptions, installer IP address, replace ZFS mirror, shrink VM, change node name, two-node clusters, high memory usage, etc.
In principle a good idea, but I would argue that such information is better covered by the wiki [0], e.g. renaming your node name [1].

Also, the search bar is prominently placed at the top and an additional FAQ page which needs to be kept up to date and probably will be overlooked nevertheless, would probably not significantly reduce duplicate requests.

[0] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Main_Page
[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Renaming_a_PVE_node

Reactions: leesteken
It's funny, because I personally do not mind the nag, but both the forum facilitates and the license allows removing it.

It annoys most the people who are not the target audience (to be nagged). And for the target audience - they need the proper subscription to be stable, really. The nag won't change that.

You might as well remove it / make it something other than "popup".

It's funny, because I personally do not mind the nag, but both the forum facilitates and the license allows removing it.

It annoys most the people who are not the target audience (to be nagged). And for the target audience - they need the proper subscription to be stable, really. The nag won't change that.

You might as well remove it / make it something other than "popup".

It is funny as i did not mind it too. Until i enabled 2 factor. That's when it started.

I understand why Proxmox would keep pushing the "No Valid Subscription". I am not one to complain as this is a sophisticated piece of software and they are giving it to people like me for FREE, which i respect them 100% for. I would only consider a license the moment I go enterprise, by then PVE would start bringing an income and i'll share some with PVE as a thank you for the up keep of PVE. I do plan on going full fledge once i get all my components.

I read somewhere in this forum or somewhere on the internet. Hyper-V is only "FREE" if you have a Windows license :)

SIDE NOTE: I setup another dedicated server for PBS. My word, have i been missing out on the complete package. I shall be testing the Proxmox mail server gateway. Not much gets me excited but if PBS blew my mind. I cannot wait to see what the mail server has in store.

Low Key Proxmox needs to get much more credit.

Last edited:
It is funny as i did not mind it too. Until i enabled 2 factor. That's when it started.
Oh, no experience with that.

I understand why Proxmox would keep pushing the "No Valid Subscription".

I don't think it's being pushed - it should rather be like a permanent red bar at the top for anyone running a production system to be warned.

I am not one to complain as this is a sophisticated piece of software and they are giving it to people like me for FREE
, which i respect them 100% for.
That's not entirely true, you are running unstable system beta testing for free as well. I am not saying people somehow deserve package like this for no payment, but there's a price to pay even non-monetary one. What is free is when staff member replies to you here to something they have zero benefit from, e.g. how to remove a nag. :D

I would only consider a license the moment I go enterprise, by then PVE would start bringing an income and i'll share some with PVE as a thank you for the up keep of PVE. I do plan on going full fledge once i get all my components.

I personally do not know anyone who buys "support" due to a nag. Either you need it for the peace of mind, you are running serious production where it's not about the nag (no SLAs though, which is why PVE is niche) or if you are a fan you would donate ... oh by Proxmox does not let you. I suppose they know best why they are not even trying to maximise profit.

What i can say is: something in this location /usr/share/javascript/proxmox-widget-toolkit/proxmoxlib.js can be changed and a restart of the browser poof its gone. If you dedicated enough you will know.

It should be the banner, not popup. I am actually surprised there's no 3rd party GUI for PVE.

I read somewhere in this forum or somewhere on the internet. Hyper-V is only "FREE" if you have a Windows license :)

There's no free lunch they say. :)

SIDE NOTE: I setup another dedicated server for PBS. My word, have i been missing out on the complete package. I shall be testing the Proxmox mail server gateway. Not much gets me excited but if PBS blew my mind. I cannot wait to see what the mail server has in store.

Complete-not-complete, if you use ZFS, it's not taking advantage of snapshot deltas, instead full reading dataset every time [1]. Enough of a reason not to use for me.

Low Key Proxmox needs to get much more credit.

I just hope projects like this don't go belly up because there was no one with SLA to offer and hobbyists all remove the nag.

[1] https://blog.guillaumematheron.fr/2023/261/taking-advantage-of-zfs-for-smarter-proxmox-backups/

Last edited:
I don't think it's being pushed - it should rather be like a permanent red bar at the top for anyone running a production system to be warned.
I guess I would prefer something like this:
1708178692446.png

But I would bet people then start complaining about that ugly header hurting their eyes and start publishing scripts to hide that too. ;)

Reactions: esi_y and PMVE-User
I would only consider a license the moment I go enterprise,
I am curious what your definition of enterprise is...
by then PVE would start bringing an income
Infrastructure product, such as PVE, very rarely "brings income". Its almost on the same level as "I bought a Cisco switch and its bringing me income".. In 90% of cases IT is an expense center. Hosting is one of those exceptions.
and i'll share some with PVE as a thank you for the up keep of PVE
Buying a license and never using it would be a sort of "thank you", the moment you use support (which is really what license brings) - you have cost money to PVE and diminished your "thank you". If you use enough support tickets, your value to PVE will be negative. Based on your interaction so far, I have a suspicion that they wont make any money on you.
I do plan on going full fledge once i get all my components.
People on forum and reddit who claim that will pay as soon as PVE does X, never do. The covert attempt to influence developers by promises of some mythical revenue "soon to come" is very transparent and insulting. They've seen it before thousands of times.

I would be down with that. I would not even care, as long as its not a popup.

That's not entirely true, you are running unstable system beta testing for free as well. I am not saying people somehow deserve package like this for no payment, but there's a price to pay even non-monetary one. What is free is when staff member replies to you here to something they have zero benefit from, e.g. how to remove a nag. :D

I know i'm running a not recommend repo, but for my use case it does not affect me as i am well versed in linux. My install is not actually from the PVE iso. I install debian and then PVE.

I do understand that its a complete waste of time for a Promox staff member to reply to anyone that does not have a subscription. I had a look at the subscriptions and its not really worth it for me right now, just for support. I would rather donate to the once i build my complete setup and it would not even be for the support. It would be 100% for them as a Thank you, the support is just a plus.

I personally do not know anyone who buys "support" due to a nag. Either you need it for the peace of mind, you are running serious production where it's not about the nag (no SLAs though, which is why PVE is niche) or if you are a fan you would donate ... oh by Proxmox does not let you. I suppose they know best why they are not even trying to maximise profit.

I would get it for the enterprise repo, they probably have back tested all the packages in the repo and considered it to be production ready. The support is just a plus.

This could be a hobby to the proxmox team, who knows.

It should be the banner, not popup. I am actually surprised there's no 3rd party GUI for PVE.
You just gave me an idea :D :D. I shall attempt a 3rd party GUI but ill have a catch to it. Make the gui free to use with a popup stating "No Valid Subscription" and why the pop up exists. There would be a way to remove it though... Purchase a "Cry Baby Subscription" for only $12 to remove the popup and i'll send $10 to proxmox and keep $2 for coffee :)

Encrypt the entire script. So there is no way to remove the nag. Add a license on top of it to make it illegal to decrypt the script. Forcing the user to buy the "Cry Baby Package". If the script is decrypted, no one would dare to post methods on legal forums. :lol:

Complete-not-complete, if you use ZFS, it's not taking advantage of snapshot deltas, instead full reading dataset every time [1]. Enough of a reason not to use for me.
Interesting. I'm going to looking into it. I'm just having a go at everything they offer as i have a plan to use PVE for something...

I just hope projects like this don't go belly up because there was no one with SLA to offer and hobbyists all remove the nag.

That is exactly why I am sticking with PVE and building my fully fledge server environment with it. So far i have around 260+- people interested in a few packages im going to offer. Im already set with using PVE. My only thought is; talk is cheap. Once i have the system up and running, i want to see how many actually purchase the service from me.

I wonder if they looked for someone that can offer an SLA for them.

I am curious what your definition of enterprise is...

My definition of enterprise for PVE is basically, the repo.
But essentially something that caters to a large amount of users.

Infrastructure product, such as PVE, very rarely "brings income". Its almost on the same level as "I bought a Cisco switch and its bringing me income".. In 90% of cases IT is an expense center. Hosting is one of those exceptions.

Agreed, i think there might be a misunderstanding. I am going to use PVE as the backend. I want to build a private cloud storage for large amount of users. They will be paying for cloud-storage and the up keep. That would bring somewhat of an income to then donate some to Promox. It's not something thats going to happen over night though. Proxmox has a huge variety of things that can be done; offer shared hosting, dedicated hosting etc.

Buying a license and never using it would be a sort of "thank you", the moment you use support (which is really what license brings) - you have cost money to PVE and diminished your "thank you". If you use enough support tickets, your value to PVE will be negative. Based on your interaction so far, I have a suspicion that they wont make any money on you.

You just brought that to my attention. It's simple. No support tickets would be created. :D

People on forum and reddit who claim that will pay as soon as PVE does X, never do. The covert attempt to influence developers by promises of some mythical revenue "soon to come" is very transparent and insulting. They've seen it before thousands of times.

No offence to anyone else but that is not what my intention is. I never promised anything. i really do not care if the devs reply or not. I just popped in here to see if anyone would reply regardless if it was just a user or staff member. I did not expect a staff member to reply.

I just popped in here to see if anyone would reply regardless if it was just a user or staff member. I did not expect a staff member to reply.
and yet you came to an official PVE forum, where stuff is constantly replying to even the most mundane questions from users who are unable to fully insert rj45 cable, raised a topic that has been discussed 10s if not 100s of times over the many years (so did not do even minimal search), were pointed to at least 3 similar discussions where stuff made it clear they wont change things, and continued up to posting information on circumventing the popup.
Since you did not do research prior to posting, I must assume that you dont know that at least once a month a new user pops up on the forum claiming that PVE is broken and nothing works. And after about 10 probing questions, because said user is withholding any information and claims to not have done anything unusual, it turns out that they did apply some half-baked pop-up removal and broke all of the UI functionality.
The same will happen to this "encrypted" patch of yours. You are only going to create more work for PVE stuff.

Do you see a lot of "how to reset ESXi eval licence" on official VMware forums? How about - how to rearm Windows server licence so I dont have to pay, on Microsoft forums? You'd be banned in an hour. And those restrictions actually block you from using the product, unlike PVE reminder. The PVE stuff is very liberal in this regard. Take this topic to reddit, you will find many more like-minded people there.

Good luck with your business, I mean it sincerely.

Reactions: alyarb
This is the official Proxmox forum. The official method to remove the popup is to buy a subscription.

It takes 5 minutes to Google and implement the simple, unofficial, and unsupported modification that removes the popup.

I find discussing it and rationalizing it and justifying it on the official forum is disrespectful whether you are using PVE commercially or not.

Last edited:
I find discussing it and rationalizing it and justifying it on the official forum is disrespectful whether you are using PVE commercially or not.

Let's just end this discussion as i did not expect it to take a turn in this way. I meant good and did not mean to disrespect anyone as the license allows it. Looking at this in your perspective it does look a bit bad regardless of use case.

I shall remove any hints on how to remove the pop up and i would gladly let the admins/staff completely delete this post as i cannot.

@Chris If you do not mind, delete this post. As i edited it to remove its contents. That does not edit the quotes that have been made on the old post itself.

This is funny to me too. I do find it a bit odd to come ask here (I mean I would feel odd about it IF i also received a reply from staff how it had been discussed before and where alread for sure.:D) Out of all places, maybe I would have gone reddit for that out of the "weird feeling"

But I also do not believe people should be apologising for/retracting/deleting something they once felt was justified, if it's a matter of opinion - there's no harm caused here, no damage. The discussion contributed in how else people would prefer the nag to show and that it's a pain with 2FA (I suppose, but I do not think a setup where there's a need for 2FA for tor this for lab use is the best).

@Chris If you do not mind, delete this post. As i edited it to remove its contents. That does not edit the quotes that have been made on the old post itself.

This cost him time indeed he might have spent assisting others / troubleshooting something that brings Proxmox QA benefit. Just don't be that "cry-baby". ;)

NB I post blunt stuff here all the time, not deleted. I like it here for precisely that. When I was wrong I apologise, or ... plan to. ;)

at least once a month a new user pops up on the forum claiming that PVE is broken and nothing works. And after about 10 probing questions, because said user is withholding any information and claims to not have done anything unusual, it turns out that they did apply some half-baked pop-up removal and broke all of the UI functionality.

It's a hidden cost of Proxmox of having such a popup (and being open source) to themselves and rest of the forum too. Something to consider too.

The same will happen to this "encrypted" patch of yours. You are only going to create more work for PVE stuff.

I agree that's a bad idea, but it's the whole point of API he can create whatever he wants interacting with it. Sometimes these then become inspiration for the original project. It's all fine he is not name-dropping anyone for assistance.

Do you see a lot of "how to reset ESXi eval licence" on official VMware forums? How about - how to rearm Windows server licence so I dont have to pay, on Microsoft forums? You'd be banned in an hour.

So I do not know if they are not posting or banned, if they are banned ... it costs the companies money on moderation. The people who look for it go elsewhere. Zero benefit.

And those restrictions actually block you from using the product, unlike PVE reminder. The PVE stuff is very liberal in this regard.

PVE went with a license and business model where they can't not be liberal by this point.

NB By marking this post like you did, it's going to cause more of a Streisand effect.

And you can't delete your replies in other people replies - that would be censorship on them. Just move on.

But I also do not believe people should be apologising for/retracting/deleting something they once felt was justified, if it's a matter of opinion - there's no harm caused here, no damage.
The problem is that it is very disrespectful to ask here for free support, developers are helping and you then show them with your log lines that you are installing hacks to not have to pay for a paid "feature" you care about, as you otherwise wouldn't spend time in removing the nag.

And it already happend in the past that such an anti-nag-hack broke a Proxmox product after an update and people then wasted the staffs time asking for support to fix a problem they caused by themselves. So I'm not convinced with the "no harm caused".

For me thats like pirating a cracked software and if you do that ita very bold to ask for support.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!