Changing machine (i440fx) version

Ivanmarrese

Sep 9, 2022
Hello,
we have many Linux server running on Proxmox VM with Hardware\Machine (i440fx alias intel) and version = Latest.
So, go on like this...
We also have (sorry for that :) some Windows Server with the same HW but different version each (6.1, 6,2, etc.)
Is it a good idea to change those version with the last one available (according to the Proxmox version)?
The Note in UI is quite peremptory.. "Machine version change may affect hardware layout and settings in the guest OS."
What does It really mean? And, above all, what precautions should I take before the change (i mean snapshot or backup or...)?
I am grateful for any suggestions.

Ivan

Right question! But I also know that Proxmox releases some notable improvement thus I was simply courious about the differences and implications of HW\Machine versions.

Thank you @BobhWasatch.
I have never had doubts in choosing between q35 and i440fx on Windows VMs, choosing the latter. I don't need GPU passthrough...
My observation was that if I install an i440fx version 8 VM today I will be n versions behind in a year or two....
So, I would have liked to know what I'm missing and what I could gain. No gain -> no pain
Maybe a little improvment i I/O threads when using MSSQL Server :))
For example, we have a really powerful Cluster (and we're really thinking about moving to the repository enterprise for it) with Ceph SSD/25Gbs network - storage RBD (PVE) type .
On this cluster we have installed a Windows VM [96 GB Ram, 4 processors 1 socket 24 cores CPU host, SCSI Controller Virtio SCSI, and 2 disks: 1) CephSSD 256 GB - 2) CesphSSD 3 TB - both cache:writeback, discard on )
Well, we sometimes notice from Windows EVT (Alert, NOT error) that writing to disks takes a long time.
I'm almost sure that the reason is due to the backup happening at the same time.
But maybe, freeze operations have been optimized in new Machine version...

That's all

Ivan

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!