Adding new disk to already created lvm-thin volume?

firestreak

Jan 1, 2023
I've got a proxmox node that is using local-lvm as storage for my VM.

The local-lvm(lvm-thin) ran out of space, causing io-errors for my VM. I bought a new hard drive, but I'm unsure of how I can add it. Any help would be great!

FYI I used this blog post, was what was most straight forward cause I don't/didn't have time to deep dive.

-https://kenmoini.com/post/2018/10/quick-n-dirty-adding-disks-to-proxmox/

Mostly saving this for myself for next time I need to do it. Copying instructions here in case link ever dies.

fdisk -l
^find new disk

cfdisk /dev/sda (or whatever new disk for found is called)
> New -> Primary -> Specify size in MB
> Write
> Quit
^ format it

pvcreate /dev/sda1 (or whatever partition is called)
^ create volume

vgextend pve /dev/sda1
^ add new volume to lvm

lvextend /dev/pve/data -L +251.50g (whatever size is if new volume, use vgs command to find out)
^ increase volume of lvm to take advantage of new HD

FYI I used this blog post, was what was most straight forward cause I don't/didn't have time to deep dive.

-https://kenmoini.com/post/2018/10/quick-n-dirty-adding-disks-to-proxmox/

Mostly saving this for myself for next time I need to do it. Copying instructions here in case link ever dies.

fdisk -l
^find new disk

cfdisk /dev/sda (or whatever new disk for found is called)
> New -> Primary -> Specify size in MB
> Write
> Quit
^ format it

pvcreate /dev/sda1 (or whatever partition is called)
^ create volume

vgextend pve /dev/sda1
^ add new volume to lvm

lvextend /dev/pve/data -L +251.50g (whatever size is if new volume, use vgs command to find out)
^ increase volume of lvm to take advantage of new HD
This was very helpful. Searching through links and parsing threads to piece together answers can be a pain, so outlining your process was much appreciated.

I was hoping to do this with the GUI, but it doesn't appear to be possible.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!