Add clipboard support to the VNC console in the GUI

Nov 24, 2017
Hello,

In "Changelog Overview" of Proxmox VE 8.1 (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap#Proxmox_VE_8.1) under "Virtual machines (KVM/QEMU)" there is a new feature called
  • Add clipboard support to the VNC console in the GUI. For now the feature cannot be enabled in the GUI and has to be manually enabled via API or CLI. After installing the SPICE guest tools, text can be copied from/to the guest clipboard using the noVNC clipboard button.

I installed the SPICE guest tools on a Debian 11 VM but can't figure out how to make it work. I couldn't find any commands on how to manually enable it via API or CLI.

Any help will highly be appreciate

Thanks for the info! Tried everything but still doesn't work or I don't know how to use it...

Steps done (Proxmox VE 8.1.3, VM ID 2230 - Debian 11):

- On VM (https://medium.com/@truthisouthere_...s-on-a-debian-based-system-in-vm-2bc66fc2d95b)

sudo apt install spice-vdagent

sudo systemctl start spice-vdagent

systemctl enable spice-vdagent

sudo systemctl status spice-vdagent

- ON Proxmox node where VM resides

qm set 2230 -vga std,clipboard=vnc

Now the VNC clipboard function (e.g. in the noVNC console panel) appears but still don't know how to use it

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 10.37.54.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 10.37.54.png
    128.1 KB · Views: 88
For me it works this way:

To copy from external into that VM: copy something in your "real" system. Open the "Clipboard" as seen in your screenshot. Insert the content there. Leave it open, just to watch it. Go to the destination application (gedit for test in my case) in the VM. Insert the content there.

To copy from within the VM: select some text in (for example) gedit in the VM. That text is displayed immediately in the Clipboard from your screenshot. Select that text in this clipboard and copy it. Go to your destination application and insert it.

Have fun :)

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. I think my expectation on how it should work is wrong.

What I would like to use it for is having the possibility of pasting long commands in the VM console of a Debian system without Desktop environment, in case I can't connect with ssh to that Debian system.

In short, pasting to a command prompt in a Linux VM in the console window.

In short, pasting to a command prompt in a Linux VM in the console window.
Maybe there are tools for this. I have no idea though.

My personal workflow for using terminal sessions / bash is to have a multitude parallel ssh sessions (concentrated and made persistent with "tmux") in one single window with a terminal - without this incarnation of the copy-n-paste problem :)

There's always a way...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!