[SOLVED] zfs Snapshot on one of my vms always results in snapshot size 0

Elleni

Jul 6, 2020
I have an OPNsense VM which is residing on a small, unencrypted mirror root/boot pool, which was created by the ProxMox installer. The two disks on this proxmox box have a small partition each -> rpool boot pool. The second, big partitions, containing the rest of the disk are part of a data-mirror pool, which is encrypted. All other VMs disks except the OPNsense vm are in the big, encrypted data mirror, and do not show this 0 size snapshots listed by zfs get written.

Does anyone have an idea, why snapshots of the OPNsense vm have size 0? I took a snapshot after upgrading OPNsense and even then the snapshot shows size 0. Or could this just be an output/display bug? What further informations could I provide to find the source of this and maybe correct it?

Last edited:
What does zfs list -t all -r <pool>/<dataset of vm disk> show?

A zfs get all <pool>/<dataset of vm disk> could also be interesting.

Hang on - forget my question and thanks for your question. While looking to provide the asked information I only now became aware that I have an obsolete vm-xyz-0 dataset in my encrypted pool and as all other vms reside there I got used to only look in this pool. But as stated in the opening post the vm in fact resides in unencrypted rpool..

Its only now that stupid me bacame aware that I was snapshoting the unused dataset/vmdisk *embarassed*

Sorry for having wasted your attention and time... I will check and delete the post after having confirmed.

Edit - confirmed. Will delete this post sooner or later. Thanks for your attention and support.

Last edited:
Thanks for reporting back what the problem was. Don't worry, we all make mistakes like that and miss some important information :)

I will mark the thread as solved then.

Reactions: Elleni

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!