[SOLVED] ZFS not enabled or running after update

What happens if you run the command shown in the gui within the shell ? "zpool list -HpPLo name,size,alloc,free,frag,dedup,health"

Does "systemctl --failed" still list something ?

notice this error in the cli:

root@proxmox5:~# zpool list
The ZFS modules are not loaded.
Try running '/sbin/modprobe zfs' as root to load them.
root@proxmox5:~#

How do I get the ZFS modules to load? and why do they quit after joining the new node to the cluster?

What happens if you run the command shown in the gui within the shell ? "zpool list -HpPLo name,size,alloc,free,frag,dedup,health"

Does "systemctl --failed" still list something ?

root@proxmox5:~# systemctl --failed
UNIT LOAD ACTIVE SUB DESCRIPTION
● run-rpc_pipefs.mount loaded failed failed RPC Pipe File System
● iscsid.service loaded failed failed iSCSI initiator daemon (iscsid)
● lvm2-activation-early.service loaded failed failed Activation of LVM2 logical volumes
● lvm2-activation-net.service loaded failed failed Activation of LVM2 logical volumes
● lvm2-activation.service loaded failed failed Activation of LVM2 logical volumes
● open-iscsi.service loaded failed failed Login to default iSCSI targets
● pvefw-logger.service loaded failed failed Proxmox VE firewall logger
● systemd-modules-load.service loaded failed failed Load Kernel Modules
● watchdog-mux.service loaded failed failed Proxmox VE watchdog multiplexer
● zfs-mount.service loaded failed failed Mount ZFS filesystems
● zfs-share.service loaded failed failed ZFS file system shares

LOAD = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.

11 loaded units listed. Pass --all to see loaded but inactive units, too.
To show all installed unit files use 'systemctl list-unit-files'.

1591135609537.png

root@proxmox5:~# systemctl --failed
UNIT LOAD ACTIVE SUB DESCRIPTION
● run-rpc_pipefs.mount loaded failed failed RPC Pipe File System
● iscsid.service loaded failed failed iSCSI initiator daemon (iscsid)
● lvm2-activation-early.service loaded failed failed Activation of LVM2 logical volumes
● lvm2-activation-net.service loaded failed failed Activation of LVM2 logical volumes
● lvm2-activation.service loaded failed failed Activation of LVM2 logical volumes
● open-iscsi.service loaded failed failed Login to default iSCSI targets
● pvefw-logger.service loaded failed failed Proxmox VE firewall logger
● systemd-modules-load.service loaded failed failed Load Kernel Modules
● watchdog-mux.service loaded failed failed Proxmox VE watchdog multiplexer
● zfs-mount.service loaded failed failed Mount ZFS filesystems
● zfs-share.service loaded failed failed ZFS file system shares

LOAD = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.

11 loaded units listed. Pass --all to see loaded but inactive units, too.
To show all installed unit files use 'systemctl list-unit-files'.

View attachment 17582

Did you remove proxmox5 from NIMBLE_ISCSI and NIMBLE_LVM ?

Copy the output of "journalctl --no-pager" into pastebin.com or attach as file here.

Its really strange.

Did you remove proxmox5 from NIMBLE_ISCSI and NIMBLE_LVM ?

Copy the output of "journalctl --no-pager" into pastebin.com or attach as file here.

Its really strange.

yes, the iscsi and lvm were removed, then proxmox5 was restarted. journal result attached

Attachments

• journal.txt
    88.2 KB · Views: 1
yes, the iscsi and lvm were removed, then proxmox5 was restarted. journal result attached

Hmm nothing in the journal.

Iscsi failed with exit code 12, which is missing kernel module.

But i dont think a pve config sync could do such a damage.

This is a fresh proxmox install rigth, did you also recreate the boot usb/cd with a new iso ?

Hmm nothing in the journal.

Iscsi failed with exit code 12, which is missing kernel module.

But i dont think a pve config sync could do such a damage.

This is a fresh proxmox install rigth, did you also recreate the boot usb/cd with a new iso ?

fresh install, even wiped HDD's, but same install CD as the other 4 proxmox's that ARE working.

fresh install, even wiped HDD's, but same install CD as the other 4 proxmox's that ARE working.

I did name it the same name as the previously failed node. Should I reinstall and rename to 'proxmox6' and see if the cluster treats it differently? Just a thought. only other thing would be to get a different physical box and see if its hardware somehow.

I reinstalled again, named it proxomox6, just in case, and have not updated or joined to the cluster yet and I get this already:
1591196062266.png
I guess my install media is corrupt? Or hardware maybe? I got not errors during install, seems weird to me.

I reinstalled again, named it proxomox6, just in case, and have not updated or joined to the cluster yet and I get this already:
View attachment 17600
I guess my install media is corrupt? Or hardware maybe? I got not errors during install, seems weird to me.

Most of it is storage related so thats weird, but it can occur due to bad install disk.

If you disconnect all disks (also usb sticks / cd's in drive) besides the one running proxmox root, does it still show that ?

If yes redownload the install iso and create a new install media. Use another usb stick or cd disk. Flash it with etcher.

Most of it is storage related so thats weird, but it can occur due to bad install disk.

If you disconnect all disks (also usb sticks / cd's in drive) besides the one running proxmox root, does it still show that ?

If yes redownload the install iso and create a new install media. Use another usb stick or cd disk. Flash it with etcher.

Ok burned new CD at my house, we are mostly remote still, this afternoon will schedule an office visit to insert CD into drive then we'll see.

Ok burned new CD at my house, we are mostly remote still, this afternoon will schedule an office visit to insert CD into drive then we'll see.

If the server supports IPMI you can boot the iso over the web interface from remote.

If the server supports IPMI you can boot the iso over the web interface from remote.

My Cisco box is old but it does have an IPMI or IMC as they call it, but not the ability to upload an iso file that I can see. It's ok, I need the fresh air anyways.

Thanks to everyone who helped, but after reinstalling unsuccessfully multiple times on 4 different HDD's using newly burned install media, I finally broke down ran the mem test off the proxmox install media... and well looky there (see below screenshot), the box is not under warranty so I guess a hardware swap will be the answer. There are so many errors, i'm not sure any of the RAM sticks on the system are good. screenshot below is not even the end of test, I got this many errors only 10 minutes into it.

1591287352735.png

I have the same thing but don't have an option to page down nor do I see "Yes" to continue. If I hit enter it does give me a new line of news, but its gotten to the point where no new information is coming up.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!