ZFS-newbie question about LXC snapshots

janvv

Jun 21, 2020
52.24154182722349, 5.117853866801705
I am afraid I am missing a point in my Proxmox setup.
LXC snapshotting is said to be enabled on ZFS.

I recently did a setup from scratch, so I decided to use ZFS on all my disks with RAID1. (I have pairs of equally sized disks.)
I googled a bit to learn about ZFS, and it is mostly suggested to create datasets in your ZFS pools. The next step was to use the mount points of these datasets as Proxmox storage.

I created datasets for my VM images, ISOs, LXC disks, Backups, etc.
So far, so good. My system and homelab came to life.

But taking LXC snapshots is still impossible. "The current guest configuration does not support taking new snapshots." Why?
I use /vms and /cts for the VM and LXC disks.

1719901643053.png

1719901735327.png

1719901850679.png

I am getting the feeling that using those directories /vms and /cts as storage wasn't such a good idea. Does adding the nvme_pool as storage directly solve this snapshot issue? If yes, why using datasets?

Thanks for shining some light on my ZFS confusion...

Jan van Veldhuizen

Quoting from the Proxmox docs on Storage: Directory here:

This backend assumes that the underlying directory is POSIX compatible, but nothing else. This implies that you cannot create snapshots at the storage level. But there exists a workaround for VM images using the qcow2 file format, because that format supports snapshots internally.

If yes, why using datasets
You've added your storage (PVE backend) as directories. What you should have done:

1. In GUI, Datacenter, Storage, Add (drop-down), ZFS & name it accordingly (ID: ).
2. Choose the relevant Dataset from the ZFS Pool drop-down.
3. Choose thin provisioning if you so wish.
4. Select the Content you require.
5. Press Add & repeat as necessary.

BTW - is there a reason you provide the coordinate location in your user-details - expecting us to visit?

If you create a ‘ZFS’ storage in PVE, you are limited to VMs/LXCs as the content type. However, what you can do is create a dataset yourself via the CLI and then add the mountpoint of this dataset as a ‘Directory’ storage to PVE. Your data will still reside on the ZFS pool, but with a Directory storage, you can also store ISOs, templates, snippets, and backups. Just don’t forget to enable ‘is_mountpoint’ for the Directory storage via the CLI.

It is also explained here: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-7-3-with-zfs-also-as-backup-location.120928/

as a ‘Directory’ storage
I don't think you've read/understood the OP's question. He wants snapshots - that's not going to happen (at least inherently) with a Directory type Storage - as I've already pointed out. Secondly, he has already setup his ZFS-Storage as directories - as you should see from his storage.cfg output.

@gfngfn256 Clear. Thx! I see where I made the mistake in my configuration. I'll re-create the storage for VMS and CTS. I can easily migrate by making backups and restore the machines and containers in the new storage.

And regarding the coordinates... well, just for fun. If a location is asked in any profile, then I often mention the coordinates instead of a town name. You're more than welcome, by the way :p

Reactions: gfngfn256
Happy you got it working. Maybe tag prefix the thread-title with [SOLVED], (upper right hand corner under title).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!