ZFS mounts dont come up after kernel 6.8.8-2 update

lopiuh

Jun 18, 2024
I have a ZFS on deban bookworm installation link after last kernel update and a reboot several ZFS mounts did not came up (e.g. /var/log). after zfs mount -a and a reboot they come up. Has anybody why they did not came up? maybe no coincidence with the kernel update.

Yours lopiuh

Last edited:
syslog says: local-fs.target: Job zfs-mount.service/start deleted to break ordering cycle starting with local-fs.target/start

It seems to be a temporary issue after upgrading (for me unknown) packages. After a reboot the "zfs datasets not mounted after reboot" issue went away. I placed a check in my installer script to identify the situation and it triggers only once after installing the base packages. Maybe you could do a crosslink to this Thread in: Install Proxmox VE on Debian 12 Bookworm

Bash:
if uname -a | grep "pve" > /dev/null; then
    # Wir laufen bereits unter pve-kernel. Beim ersten Start des pve kernels (oder weil ein starker Versionssprung erfolgte) fehlen zfs mounts (siehe https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/zfs-mounts-dont-come-up-after-kernel-6-8-8-2-update.149934/)
    # deshalb (etwas dirty) gucken, ob alle mounts da sind
    for _item in $(cut -f 1  /etc/zfs/zfs-list.cache/rpool); do
        if ! zfs mount | grep -q "$_item"; then
            echo "Wir laufen bereits unter pve-kernel. Beim ersten Start des pve kernels (oder weil ein starker Versionssprung erfolgte) fehlen zfs mounts (siehe https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/zfs-mounts-dont-come-up-after-kernel-6-8-8-2-update.149934/)"
            echo "Es fehlt der mount: ${_item}, Reboot?"
            echo -n "hit return to Reboor or CTRL-C!"; read x; echo "continuing..."
            systemctl reboot
            exit
        fi
    done
    unset _item
fi

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!