ZFS mirror storage and non-ECC RAM

dmvillar

May 6, 2024
I have read somewhere that it is not recommended to use zfs if you are not using ECC RAM. I honestly wouldn't want to have to throw away the advantages of zfs for not having ECC. What can you tell me about this? Is that so? Shouldn't I use ZFS?

You'll be fine. I have three nodes, two without ecc memory. No issues
Thanks!

I also have 3 nodes (in production mode), none of them have ECC, and in pve 8.x I do not see the memtest start option that I did see in pve 7.x of memtest

I'm going to see if I can get a pendrive ready with memtest and every now and then I'll do a check (just in case)

Use it!

ECC closes a gap of possible data corruption. Each and every filesystem has this chance to get data damaged in Ram and during transport from/to Ram.

ECC is a goodie on top, not a requirement. Of course it is recommended - for all systems, not just for ZFS...
Excellent, I thought it would be like that, but I had a big doubt, really thank you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!