Zfs has encountered an uncorrectable i/o failure and has been suspended

jorhan

Mar 22, 2024
This is my environment:
  • PVE Version: 8.1.10
  • CPU: 6 x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9500 CPU @ 3.00GHz (1 Socket)
  • Kernel Version: Linux 6.5.13-5-pve (2024-04-05T11:03Z)
  • Boot Mode: EFI
  • Manager Version: pve-manager/8.1.10/4b06efb5db453f29
  • Storage: M.2 Predator GM7 M.2 2TB
Recently, I've been facing ZFS uncorrectable I/O failures. Despite having a new M.2 drive with good SMART status and a healthy zpool, I couldn't retrieve the log after each failure. I suspect it might be due to ACPI, so I disabled BIOS ACPI, but unfortunately, the issue persists.

螢幕擷取畫面 2024-04-15 002622.png螢幕擷取畫面 2024-04-15 002614.png1713111913526.jpg

I remember once researching this issue. IIRC it came down to power issues. Possibly your PSU isn't up to spec/stable? Or maybe its a power sleeping function in BIOS, USB ports sleep/hibernation etc..

ZFS is not suitable to run on single disk then problems. Specially for system OS partition. If you could put 2 disks for ZFS mirror to handle this type of errors.

Check for newer firmware for your drive.

Also if you don't absolutely need ZFS for root, reinstall with ext4 root + LVM and see if it helps.

You can limit the available drive size during the install and reserve space for a separate ZFS pool on a partition beyond root+LVM

Just noticed in your S.M.A.R.T. values you have just 87 Power On hours & already 11 unsafe shutdowns. Thats more than 3 unsafe shutdowns a day. I don't know what's caused these unsafe shutdowns - but your system needs checking. However - I know from experience that Power On Hours is almost never correct. But you know how long you've actually been using it - and assuming you purchased it new - make the maths how long its actually been in use. From the Data units read/write, it really looks like its hardly been used, (especially for a ZFS drive). If you messed around with OS installation a number of times - this could also explain the unsafe shutdowns, so you can ignore my whole comment.

Another point, I would never run any ZFS system without a drive mirror in place.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!