ZFS file storage backup

puntoboy

Apr 11, 2024
I'm using local ZFS storage on my Proxmox host as a NAS. I have several LXCs accessing it (using Bind points). All working well. I still have to move data over from my old NAS but the basic config is in place using some temporary storage.

One thing I missed was backups. Backing up the VMs/LXCs is easy and I have done that already, but what I need to configure is backing up the ZFS data storage (/zfs on the host). Originally I was going to use a virtual TrueNAS VM on the host for my SMB/NFS shares as I was going to pass through the HBA to it directly, then use TrueNAS to run the backups of the data, but I decided to keep things simple (or so I thought) and mount the ZFS pool directly to the host and bind mount it to the LXCs and use Cockpit for the shares.

I have a PBS setup, can I use that for backing up the data or something like rsync? Obviously I need to automate this process and make single file or directory restores easy. Ideally with a GUI but CLI will be fine.

ZFS has something called "zfs send/zfs receive". It can send the delta (difference) between snapshots to another host.
It works on dataset level, so you can't send specific folders but whole datasets.
That doesn't sound like it'll work for me. I'm not talking about VM/CTs or disks, these are files/folders stored on ZFS. Also, bare in mind, the backup destination isn't ZFS.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!