zfs disk Resized too large

sloppyjoe

Apr 13, 2024
Hey!

I've recently replaced my VM disk (256GB) with a bigger disk (512GB). I managed to wade through copying over the data to the new disk, expanding the partition, and expanding the zfs pool to fit the partition. The last step was to resize the disk in Proxmox GUI. Went into the (LXC) container, clicked resources, resize, and (without reading properly) entered the new size of the disk. What I didn't realize was that the dialog clearly states "Size Increment" NOT new size.

Now Proxmox shows the size (768GB) as significantly bigger than the actual disk (512GB) in both the container's Resources page and under the disk's CT Volumes size.

The good news is that within the container the OS sees the actual size of the new disk and proxmox in the Disks view sees the right disk size too. I'm not sure what, if any, negative consequences there are for leaving things as-is but I'd like to fix this so its showing the right size.

You can not resize downwards in the GUI. Any idea how I might correct my mistake?

Thanks for any help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!