[SOLVED] Zerotier and pve-firewall

jamest65

Apr 29, 2021
Hi All,

I am able to use zerotier for ssh and rdp with a NAT based configuration to all my VM's. from my remote laptop over my residential broadband

Q. is it possible to allow GUI access with zerotier through pve-firewall to the 8006/GUI?

if I turn off pve-firewall I obviously gain access. I have tried putting in the same rules for my remote residential broadband IP in Data Centre and Node level, pve-firewall is still blocking the GUI access over zerotier? Just to be clear I can use zerotier to ssh and RDP to my VMs but not to my DC GUI/ssh level?

any assistance greatly appreciated, this is my final hurdle for a full-blown secure Proxmox dev lab.

I scratched this idea and just use a forward tunnel instead which will work when am roaming around. it's also a simpler way to manage the firewall rules. I am also assuming that it isn't possible to open up the 9993 port with pve due to security.

ssh -L local_port:destination_server_ip:remote_port ssh_server_hostname

remote forwarding example ssh -p 22 -L 8006:127.0.0.1:8006 -N -f root@myipaddress

-p is which port you need ssh access in case it's different from the default port 22. 8006 is the port you need to forward for the GUI, I then secure this with an encrypted random key. further, you can secure the ssh server by modifying the sshd_config for further hardening.

Hope it helps someone

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!