Zen Spamhaus et URIBL too many queries and RCVD_IN_DNSWL_HI

Feb 15, 2023
Hi,

I have some warning like this :
Apr 12 01:37:04 mail-gw pmg-smtp-filter[163106]: WARNING: check: dns_block_rule URIBL_BLOCKED hit, creating /root/.spamassassin/dnsblock_multi.uribl.com (This means DNSBL blocked you due to too many queries. Set all affected rules score to 0, or use "dns_query_restriction deny multi.uribl.com" to disable queries)
Apr 12 01:37:04 mail-gw pmg-smtp-filter[163106]: WARNING: check: dns_block_rule RCVD_IN_ZEN_BLOCKED_OPENDNS hit, creating /root/.spamassassin/dnsblock_zen.spamhaus.org (This means DNSBL blocked you due to too many queries. Set all affected rules score to 0, or use "dns_query_restriction deny zen.spamhaus.org" to disable queries)

In the same mail, i see a score like this :
Apr 12 01:37:04 mail-gw pmg-smtp-filter[163106]: A17446435EF1E4642E: SA score=0/5 time=2.478 bayes=undefined autolearn=disabled hits=DKIM_SIGNED(0.1),DKIM_VALID(-0.1),DKIM_VALID_AU(-0.1),DKIM_VALID_EF(-0.1),DMARC_PASS(-0.1),HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_08(1.781),HTML_IMAGE_RATIO_02(0.001),HTML_MESSAGE(0.001),HTML_SHORT_LINK_IMG_1(0.139),KAM_IMAGEONLY(0.75),RCVD_IN_DNSWL_HI(-5),RCVD_IN_ZEN_BLOCKED_OPENDNS(0.001),SPF_HELO_NONE(0.001),SPF_PASS(-0.001),T_PDS_OTHER_BAD_TLD(0.01),T_TVD_MIME_EPI(0.01),URIBL_ABUSE_SURBL(1.948),URIBL_BLOCKED(0.001),URIBL_DBL_BLOCKED_OPENDNS(0.001)

I have too question where id this 2 DNSBL site are configured in order to add our account and not being blocked anymore ?
What is the WL site used ?

I see messages on the forums a lot regarding this. It seems like it's a failing on the installer part not to set that up out of the box since a great many people look to the Proxmox Mail Gateway as an 'installed solution' that 'just works'. IF you have to then come back and set up a number of other things so that stuff works correctly, that (to me) indicates something that should be improved on the installer.

I found this thread since I was running in to the same issue barely the same day after switching mails to go through PMG.

Yea, what I realized was my internal DNS servers on my network had *forwarders* and that is what was causing the problem. Having some DNS servers that contact the root servers directly and are set as the only resolvers for the mail gateway was the way to fix it.

One useful command I ran (on the mail gateway):

Code:
host -tTXT 2.0.0.127.multi.uribl.com

That will tell you how you are resolving, if you're blocked then it will tell you your DNS IP (i.e. where requests that hit it are coming from - it likely isn't your own IP). If you are not blocked, you'll get '2.0.0.127.multi.uribl.com descriptive text "permanent testpoint"'

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!