x86/split lock detection #AC: CPU 4/KVM/2577 took a split-lock trap at address...

yunmkfed

Sep 2, 2023
Hi,

I upgrade virtio to virtio-win-0.1.262.iso with two Windows VMs (Win Server 2016 and Win Server 2022). Proxmox is crashing.

Has anyone else experience this problem and is there a workaround (other than downgrading to 0.1.248.

Thanks

That is probably not your issue. This Wiki entry explains what split lock detection is.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Split_lock_detection

If you think this or the crashes was caused by upgrading virtio, the first line of troubleshooting would be to downgrade virtio to where it was before.

ETA: Oh, you linked to that Wiki article. Did you not read the whole thing?

Last edited:
I concur. I downgraded but the issue remained. I uninstalled 0.1.262 and did a fresh install of 0.1.248.

I did and if you are saying that the problem when code addresses memory I agree, My only two observations were that I did not install any new software on the two VMs Windows Server 2016 and Windows Server 2022 (excluding upgrades). with the only thing that is different being the upgrade of VirtIIO.

VirtIO is code. I now verified that a downgrade did not sort the problem and maybe some software (Windows?) was updated - I don't know.

In the guide (end of it) there is an option to turn it split lock off. I implemented this using the second options (proxmox rather than GRUB changes). Would this solve the problem?

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!