x-unselectable

tcabernoch

Apr 27, 2024
Portland, OR
This is why you can't copy and paste things from the PVE interface. They designed it that way. It's deliberately preventing you from copying the critical info displayed in the interface. Because devs don't like you playing with their toys. Dumb.

class="x-form-item-label x-form-item-label-default x-unselectable"

Its in the CSS on all the pages. They created a class to make sure you couldn't copy from the GUI.
It isn't in use everywhere. Mostly just on stuff you might want to copy. VM configs and such.

And yet you can copy from the config file quite easily. If it is a devious plot by "them" it seems kind of ineffective.

I am suspecting that your deduction about the purpose of that code may be somewhat inaccurate. Maybe you could try asking instead of making accusations.

A more productive approach than a rant would be to explain what you would like to select to copy & paste so that we can take a look and change it, even better if you do it in our bugtracker :)

Such things are likely due to defaults in the UI framework, not on purpose to make your life harder ;-)

Reactions: Kingneutron
Hey, thanks.
I saw one of your videos that some of the network configs were now clickable, specifically so they could be copied.
Now, that's good. But it tells me that you have the tech to do this ... and have not deployed it broadly.
I'll get a bug tracker account eventually. Good suggestion, but I'll entrench myself in this community a bit more before I go that far.

just FYI, the reason for this is that the underlying framework we use for the ui (ExtJS) does this by default for most of the ui, and we have to manually disable that behaviour where we don't want it (no global 'off' toggle) also it does make sense sometimes (e.g. grid headers, anywhere where there is a double click handler, etc.) it's also not possible to disable it everywhere (without modifying the framework on a deep level)

Reactions: Kingneutron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!