[SOLVED] Wrong time on cluster/windows 2022 guests

Humay

Feb 19, 2017
wrong time like 20 secs clock skew on windows servers which used local time (VIRTIO guest additions installed)
after setup ntp source its back to about 1sec

this servers use pbs for backuping daily with backup "stop" option

seems host time was right (not sure, im resync first then guest time was still 20s skew) seems only guest was skewed

uptime
15:32:26 up 12 days, 21:36, 1 user, load average: 2.28, 3.29, 3.33

can too uptime interfere with daily backup?

i think both guests were skewed but idk if they excatly same time skew

Last edited:
don't forget "stop" backup stop VM to start backup but restart VM while backup continue in background, when destination is slow, VM can slowdown (even if host is beefy), some services can be disturbed / stopped , why not indeed time.

try schedule shutdown within VM to backup fully stopped, then crontab (or better hook script) to start VM after the backup.

Last edited:
i switched to use ntp time to guests, VM is on NVME SSD and ZFS disks with alot of memory (around 1TB), backup target is yes a bit slow PBS VM on synology rackstation

Last edited:
some say need to turn on KVM64 cpu instead of host and make use 1 socket multiple cores but skew was on 2 different guests with different host cpu settings (host and other kvm64) both was skewed 4x4 and 1x8 socket/threads
also VMWARE recommends use ntp sources for guest and disable time sync with guest for host
is this possible to disable timesync from host? on proxmox i mean

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!