[SOLVED] [Wrong Base Idea] How to do Backup Schema

Nov 29, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have been working with the Proxmox Backup Server in conjunction with my LTO Tape Robot for the last few days. I use a Proxmox VE host in my homelab as a playground (VMs and Docker containers), but also as a productive server for a few but important services like my Nextcloud or my Unifi controller.

Everything works in PBS so far, first restore tests were also ok. But now I have a question that I can't answer myself.

How can I implement the backup scheme "Towers of Hanoi" scheme? The most common backup schemes can be found in link 0.

Many greetings
hasechris92

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backup_rotation_scheme

mhmmm.. Currently you can only set a allocation and retention policy, so a media set is kept for x amount of time and at specific points in time a new one is allocated
though with pbs, you should be able to hold backups much longer since the data on the tapes are deduplicated, so only the new data is backed up on subsequent backups in the same media set

maybe it's possible by having multiple tape pools with different allocation/retention policies (e.g. one with 2 day retention, one with 4, etc.) but note that a single media set can have more than one tape (if the data is large enough)

How can I implement the backup scheme "Towers of Hanoi" scheme? The most common backup schemes can be found in link 0.
I think those complex schemes makes perfect sense if you have full/incremental backups. But I cannot see why
you want to do that with fully deduplicated backup tapes?

I think those complex schemes makes perfect sense if you have full/incremental backups. But I cannot see why
you want to do that with fully deduplicated backup tapes?

mhmmm.. Currently you can only set a allocation and retention policy, so a media set is kept for x amount of time and at specific points in time a new one is allocated
though with pbs, you should be able to hold backups much longer since the data on the tapes are deduplicated, so only the new data is backed up on subsequent backups in the same media set

maybe it's possible by having multiple tape pools with different allocation/retention policies (e.g. one with 2 day retention, one with 4, etc.) but note that a single media set can have more than one tape (if the data is large enough)

Hi you two,

first of all many thanks for the quick answers. Please excuse me for answering so late.

Yes, I have the last few days again very intensively occupied with the backup server and realize that these backup schemes like towers of Hanoi make no sense at all. The history is already on the tapes and each tape has a full version of the backup with appropriate deduplication. And all tapes are simply changed round-robin-like according to the allocation policy.

Thanks anyway to both of you :D

hasechris

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!