Writing LTO-8 Tape at Full Speed - How Many SSD vdevs Needed?

Greetings,

I am looking for real-world performance figures from somebody who has actually done this: how many SSD-based vdevs are needed in practice to write to an LTO-8 drive at full speed? Assuming reasonably-priced, good quality, consumer-grade SSDs, for example 4TB Samsung EVO 870. (Not using "enterprise grade" SSDs that cost thousands of dollars).

I would prefer not to have to go the pricey SSD route, but the PBS docs state that:
"LTO-8 tapes provide read/write speeds of up to 360 MB/s". "[Using HDDs] we measured a maximum rate of about 60MB/s to 100MB/s in practice".

If I got my math right, that would mean that 4-6 (HDD) vdevs would be required to keep the SAS cable full. Redundancy requires at least 3 drives per vdev, so I'd be looking at 3 HDDs * 4-6 vdevs = 12-18 HDDs minimum. That's more than my server has drive bays.

If you are writing backups to LTO-8 using PBS, please do let me know what you found works for you to write at full LTO-8 speed.

Big Thanks,
-- Lucky

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!