Working: TigerVNC client to Proxmox 2.1 VM console

JimBeam

Aug 26, 2010
Hi list,

Based on the wiki: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Vnc_2.0#tls_vnc_clients_for and a post from PunjabiMunda90 in the VNC Server Help Greatly Apretiated thread:
The reason I wanted to disable the TLS was so I can use an external VNC Client.
I don't mind using the web Client that is already built in. But that only seems to work if we go through the Admin page.

I was using netcat to create a vnc connection:
nc -l -p 5900 -c "qm vncproxy VMID [PASSWORD]"

But could not connect to it because I could not find any java based vnc client that supported the x509 security used by default.
Though that worked fine with tigervnc... I really would like a web based solution.

... I started experimenting.
Downloaded TigerVNC 1.1.0 Windows x86/32 bit.

On the Proxmox 2.1 web page for the VM, clicked console.
I don't have a Java plugin installed in my browser; an empty browser window popped up.

Connected with TigerVNC to the proxmox host on port 5900.
It complained about unknown certs etc, after clicking next, could authenticate with username: root@pam and the root account's password.
Pressed F8 in VNC screen to get a menu that allows you to send Ctrl-Alt-Del etc
(Note: had first tried TigerVNC 1.2.0 but that crashed when using this F8 popup menu. Had also tried the x64 version of 1.2.0 but that didn't support encryption. Apparently the "VeNCrypt" method within the VNC RFB protocol is used, which supports TLS encryption - and optional X509 cert authentication.)
Tip: when you're too late with your connection (after a timeout), you can press reload in the webpage to get the host listening again.

For convenience's sake, I'll have a look around for the CA certificate and copy it to the TigerVNC directory in the hope it will stop complaining.

All in all, a very nice solution: encrypted remote desktop, no Java needed ;)

Thanks!

Last edited:
This also works with "Remmina 0.9.99.1". I prefere to use "xinetd" like this:

Code:
service vm100
{
    type           = UNLISTED
    port           = 5980
    socket_type    = stream
    protocol       = tcp
    wait           = no
    user           = root
    server         = /usr/sbin/qm
    server_args    = vncproxy 100
    disable        = no
}

After adding the CA-Certificate to Remmina you can connect with user: root@pam and the root password. Automated SSH tunneling works also really great!

Last edited:
Hi,

i have managed to get TigerVNC working from my MAC to Proxmox 2 :D

i couldn't figure out the username and passwords, but when you said you used 'root@pam'

i gave that a shot and it worked! perfectly :D

i use xinetd to forward the vncproxy to a port :)

kindest regards

Simon

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!