wiping proxmox from my machine

ueche001

Jul 19, 2024
Hi,

I wanted to play with proxmox and tried installing it on a mini computer and did not fully configure it because I ran into some complications a few months back. Now I forgot where I left off and I need to overwrite the SSD to reinstall the windows OS that it originally had. I created a bootable windows media usb but the system is not booting from the usb. I was wondering if anyone had some experience with this and could suggest the best and easiest way to reinstall windows on my machine.

Thanks!

Most likely your system/bios/uefi is set up to start from the disk first before the USB.
Try restarting your system and start tapping (not holding) the escape-key on your keyboard (do make sure it is a wired keyboard, wireless might not work) before you see the proxmox boot-menu (the blue screen). You should get into your system-settings and be able to either change the boot-order so usb comes first or (preferably) boot from the USB this one time (so it still boots to your normal disk the next time, even with the USB inserted).
If Escape doesn't work (and you also tried it a second time), also try F9, F10, F12 or the del/delete key.
If it is a laptop, you might need to also hold the Fn key for the F9-F12 keys to work.
If still nothing, report what kind of system it is and/or google "<name of system> bios key"
If you get to the menu but don't see a/the usb, try a different port, but do know that you will need to restart your system for it to be recognised.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!