Windows XP with service pack applied - mouse stops working in console

vom513

Feb 18, 2024
Hello all,

Hopefully this is allowed here. I figure there might be some folks running XP guests to use old software etc.

My PVE is 8.2.4. Very vanilla config, everything running fine (knock on wood).

I installed XP Pro and initially it worked great. I enabled RDP access to it, but initially the mouse in the console worked fine.

After I installed SP3 on it, the mouse works right at login and then freezes. RDP works fine.

So this *will* work for now, but just in case I ever need mouse in console I'd love to know of any solutions. Right now to shut down I use keyboard/tab around to Shut down/turn off.

Thanks.

Turning "Tablet" mode OFF actually fixed this. Mouse pointer is way offset but it's useable in a pinch now.

Funny thing. I too started playing with Windows XP running under proxmox 8.2.2 and 8.0.2. On a fresh XP install, I too found after applying XP SP2 and SP3 the mouse stops working when the Tablet Mode is on. Interesting, I had migrated a perfectly working XP that was running under VMWare ESXI 6 using acronis imaging. After removing the VM Tools in the restored VM on prox, I noticed a plug and play moment where XP did plug and play a 2nd driver HID-compliant mouse. The mouse works in that VM that came from VMware originally, when using KVM web interface from proxmox, but not a freshly installed XP sp3 edition that has never seen VM Tools... I'd like to solve this issue, but must admit the mouse works fine using RDP! So I really should let it go, but I'd love to fix it if anyone has any ideas.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!