Windows VM performances for a specific task

Shiiv

Jul 13, 2024
Hello,

I am using proxmox for 3 months now, mainly so i can have ZFS snapshot possibilities over my windows installation.

When i tried to benchmark the performances between a native windows install and a proxmox VM on my machine, i noticed a loss of 15-25% CPU at worst, which was fine with me.
Although i could not benchmark the ram and the disk capabilities on my windows VM, it would crash the whole PVE node everytime!
So maybe this is related.

The thing is i have noticed, when i launch my Java server inside of Eclipse IDE, it takes arround 3 times as long as my native installation.
So it is taking more than 9sec instead of around 3sec.

I know this is very specific, but anyone has an idea of what can be the reason for this ?
This is not a huge issue because im not launching my server that much often, but i guess if this is slower here, it could be slower elsewhere without me figure it out.

If anyone have an idea, i would be interested :)

Although i'll keep using PVE as my workstation anyway, thoses snapshots are really great when something wrong happend (which happend often enough when working with Unity in my experience xD).

Thank you for your time,
Shiiv.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!