Windows VM locks up and unable to shutdown/restart

MarcMorgan

Feb 5, 2021
Hi All.

So i have a Proxmox host installed on a Dell R710 which has several VMs ranging from Windows to Unbutu systems.

The issue i'm having is sometimes a Windows VM will lock up meaning i cant RDP or see anything via the console screen (showing failed to connect)

Now i cant use the GUI to shutdown/stop/restart/reboot as it all fails with and Error: Failed to run VNCproxy and also failed to lock vm.conf

If i open the shell and try any QM commands it i get can't lock.

The one way i can complete this is rebooting the Proxmox host which is not something i want to keep doing.

The config for the Windows VM are below (guest is installed)

1617271696391.png

1617271714445.png
Can anyone help and guide on how to resolve these issues as i have a few Windows VM machines and can't afford to reboot the host each time something stops and locks

Some thoughts before someone more knowledgeable chimes in:
1. You have the guest agent enabled, so PVE will try to use the agent to stop/restart. If the agent isn't responding, pve currently doesn't fallback to ACPI (see bug 2534). And you can't disable the use of the agent while the vm is running.
2. You should always be able to stop the VM, you don't need to restart the host. Note that if you try to shutdown the VM and it doesn't work (for example due to the agent issue above), you need to stop that shutdown job first, before you can start the stop job. It's also always possible to use the console and kill the vm process to really stop the machine - the point being, no need to restart the host.

In any case, try disabling the agent and see if shutdown/restart/stop works better. However, you should probably find the root cause of the freezes to avoid having to force shutdown your VMs.

Dear,

i had an nearly similar issue.
I was in an loop while installing win10 regarding an security kernel issue.
Stop was not possible regarding lock issue.

I set this and after that i could stop the machine without shut down de node.

# rm /var/lock/qemu-server/lock-XXXXXX.conf
xxx is you vm ID

hope this helps you

regards

Reactions: hs366
Sorry - it's the official method but as I said, you should probably try to find the root cause of the issue. These are just work-arounds for now. And also remember the guest agent aspect as proxmox will try to use it if you have it enabled in the options.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!