[SOLVED] Windows password reset in Proxmox VE

Sahil

Jun 14, 2022
Hi Team,

I'm having the Proxmox VE there are multiple VMs in that like Linux and windows,

If I Forget the password of the Linux VM I can easily reset that through the cloud-init or in the single user mode in the kernel,

But I don't know what should be done in the case of windows VM if we forget the password,

If the PC unlocker is attached no where there is an option to reset the password as well.

if in the case of another virtualization software like hyper V and VMware we can attach the PC unlocker as a bootable device and we can change the password,

But how it should be done in Proxmox VE.

I request you to please help me with this issue.

Thanks & Regards
Sahil Ahmed F

hi,

you should be able to boot PCunlocker by attaching it as a CD drive to your VM and changing the boot order to put the CD infront

edit: i've moved your thread to the english section

Hi,

Thank you for the quick response,

as I have tried the PC unlocker method but after is booted there is no option for the administrator or any user to change the password in it, it is just shows the blank page

as I have tried the PC unlocker method but after is booted there is no option for the administrator or any user to change the password in it, it is just shows the blank page
i can't help you with that if the ISO isn't working.

there are other ways to reset windows password from a live environment, i suggest you look it up online (search for sticky keys)

if the guest agent is installed & running in the vm you can also try:
Code:
qm guest passwd <vmid> <username>

Thank you for the response,

As per your mentioned command, I have done the same it is successfully configured but the password is not changed.

I'm changing for the Windows VM, I guess this command may work for only linux??

no this should also work for windows (at least last time i tested it)
do you get an error?

Thank you for the response,

Hope so this is not working due to the qm guest is not installed on the particular server,

I will try installing the qm guest in any other windows and try to change the password this way,

if this is working out then I will implement this in the template so that every time I need not install this

Hi,

Very grateful for the prompt support,

I have installed the guest in windows, and now I can able to change the password of the windows servers, using the command given below

qm guest passwd <vmid> <username>

Now for all the windows servers, which will be created for us we don't have any issue as I have installed the guest in the windows templates as well.

Thanks & Regards
Sahil Ahmed F

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!