Windows partition slow write speeds

juliannieborg

Jul 19, 2022
Hi all,

I am experiencing a performance issue with a Windows Server 2022 VM in my Proxmox environment.
The VM is configured with a disk that has been split into two partitions. The problem seems to affect only the Windows partition. Here is a breakdown of the issue:
  • On the Windows partition, when performing a sequential 8M test, I achieve a read speed of around 5000 MB/s, but the write speed drops to just 100 MB/s.
  • On the other partition of the same disk (same drive and configuration), I consistently get read speeds of 5000 MB/s and write speeds of 5000 MB/s, which are the expected results.
  • When I add an additional disk to the same VM, it also performs as expected (5000 MB/s read and write speeds).
  • When I combine the two partitions, I achieve a read speed of around 5000 MB/s, and the write speed drops to 100 MB/s.
I am unsure why only the Windows partition has significantly lower write speeds compared to the other partition on the same disk.
I have tried various scsi controllers, cache settings, and disk types. I have also tested without network adapters, with ballooning enabled and disabled, and without ballooning drivers.

The drive is a lvm-thin of 12 ssd's in raid 1+0.

VM Configuration:
agent: 1,fstrim_cloned_disks=1
balloon: 0
bios: ovmf
boot: order=virtio0;net0;ide2
cores: 10
cpu: host
efidisk0: StorageMWH04:vm-1513-disk-0,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=4M
hotplug: disk,network,usb
ide2: local:iso/virtio-win.iso,media=cdrom,size=708140K
machine: pc-q35-8.1
memory: 32768
meta: creation-qemu=8.1.5,ctime=1723667604
name: Diemex-TS
net0: virtio=BC:24:11:BD:AB:EC,bridge=vmbr1
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: win11
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1:
sockets: 1
tpmstate0: StorageMWH04:vm-1513-disk-2,size=4M,version=v2.0
unused0: StorageMWH04:vm-1513-disk-3
vga: clipboard=vnc
virtio0: StorageMWH04:vm-1513-disk-1,cache=unsafe,discard=on,iothread=1,size=300G+

Who has the answer?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!