[SOLVED] Windows guests: balloon driver and balloon service, both needed?

cosmos

Renowned Member
Apr 1, 2013
I've seen references to at least a balloon driver as well as to a balloon service.

Usually, a balloon device does appear on systems. I don't recall if that is done when the VM is specified with variable memory instead of fixed. In any case, the balloon driver from the virtio tools seems to be ok.

Furthermore, when the VM is running it is responding to balloon command requests from the pve console. At some point though there was reference to a balloon service. For example, see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Dynamic_Memory_Management#Enable_Auto-Ballooning_on_Windows_2012.2FWin8

My questions are:
1) Are these instructions still valid on the wiki? That is, the service is needed too?

2) What does the service do that necessitates its installation along the balloon driver?

Thanks in advance for any info provided.

NVM, yes the service is needed; it provides info on what the really used memory by the VM is...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!